Can I prevent other users from accesing network printer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I'm about to order a wireless colour printer for my use. The problem I have is that I have two teenage boys, both with macs, who will use it indiscriminately and it will therefore cost me a fortune in ink. Is there any way I can make it unseen by their machines? I should add that I already have a networked laser printer that they do have access to.

(Quick note: title should read "accessing". Sorry for typo!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
My HP has the ability to encrypt with a 4 digit passkey on the Bluetooth.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm about to order a wireless colour printer for my use. The problem I have is that I have two teenage boys, both with macs, who will use it indiscriminately and it will therefore cost me a fortune in ink. Is there any way I can make it unseen by their machines? I should add that I already have a networked laser printer that they do have access to.

(Quick note: title should read "accessing". Sorry for typo!)

This is more of a question than an answer.
Assuming you have a dual-band router, could you put the Printer on a second network and not broadcast the SSID?
That plus password protection should prevent their access.

I ask because my networking knowledge is limited; what I have read suggests to me that you could do this, but I could be way wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
our printer offers a login based print control. so.. how you go about it would widely depend on the equipment

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
If it adds anything the printer will be a Canon MG6250 and the ADSL router is a Netgear DG834N.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.