Macbook restarts itself only when plugged in to power

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum so forgive me if this has been asked before. I have searched but I can't find an answer to my problem anywhere.

Here is the scenario:

I have a Macbook 3,1 Late 2007 edition with 2GB RAM and a 250GB HDD, CPU Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz. I bought it used and I bought a non-Apple Magsafe adapter. All was fine for months but now for some odd reason it reboots itself shortly after I login and it only happens when it is plugged in with the magsafe adapter. It does this from MAC OS X and Windows 7 on my BOOTCAMP partition.
If it runs on the battery, it has NO problems and it stays on until the battery is depleted.

What I have tried:

I tried to reset the PRAM no success.
I tried to reset the SMC by pulling the battery out and holding the power button for 5 seconds no success.
Thinking that it was a bad power adapter, I borrowed another one from a friend and no success. Problem still persists.
The only thing I have done last was to upgrade the hard drive from the factory default 160GB 5400RPM to a 250GB 7200RPM.

I have also tried to download the latest SMC firmware but all of them show a message "It is not needed on this computer" when I try to install.

Any other ideas what else it could be? It is driving me nuts!!

Thank you for all your help.

Joe Matarazz

Reaction score
You said that you bought a non-Apple Magsafe adapter; was your friend's adapter an Apple Magsafe?

If so, you might have a bad power supply.

OP
J
Reaction score
You said that you bought a non-Apple Magsafe adapter; was your friend's adapter an Apple Magsafe?

If so, you might have a bad power supply.

Yes, my friend's adapter was an original Apple Magsafe and it did the same thing. Booted into MAC OS X and shortly after, the screen goes suddenly black and then it starts up like I just powered it on.

Here is an interesting extra piece of information. I pulled the battery out (Also a non original Apple) and left the laptop powered on with the non Apple magsafe. It seemed OK for a while. I then put the battery back in and booted in single user mode and left it alone for a while. No problem, no reboot.

I re-seated the memory just for kicks and it hasn't rebooted so far. I will keep it on that way some extra time today...

Don't think it is the power adapter since it did the same thing with a Apple and non Apple type.

Reaction score
Hmmmmm...... Perhaps it's a bad battery? You could try swapping batteries and see what happens then. I would try that. Also, if you have easy access to your friend's adapter, you could using it w/o the battery, and see what happens.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hmmmmm...... Perhaps it's a bad battery? You could try swapping batteries and see what happens then. I would try that. Also, if you have easy access to your friend's adapter, you could using it w/o the battery, and see what happens.

Interesting isn't it? I actually have had it running for an hour with the adapter and battery that were giving me the problem. Now here is the diff. the battery shows 100% changed and it is not charging. I will let it run on battery for a while and then plug the magsafe in. If it reboots, I think you may be right. The battery causes issues when charging. Will post soon....

Reaction score
MacBook late 2007; that's what I used to have. If it is the battery that's causing the problem, at least it's easy to replace! i have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro unibody; no, the battery isn't hard to replace, just a little more work, and Apple saying don't do it. Looking forward to your post as to what happens!

OP
J
Reaction score
Wow, now I am even more confused than before. I let the battery discharge to 50% and the plugged in the Magsafe adapter (non-Apple one). The macbook has been running for the past hour, I ran updates, installed stuff, etc. Still ON.

I guess it boils down to 2 things: 1) Re-seating the memory modules. or 2) Re-seating the battery (non-Apple).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For general information: Sudden reboots are usually caused by one of two things: Bad memory, or power supply. So perhaps you've zeroed in on the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.