Logic Boards Compatible with newest 15" Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 15" 2.0Ghz
Hi,i just recently purchased a 15" macbook pro 2.0 ghz with the 500 gb HDD(newest model with thunderbolt) off of craigslist for a steal!

i got it cheap because the person spilled water on it.

When i took the mac to the apple store, they told me i needed to replace the logic board.

So my question is do i need to buy a new logic board thats exactly the same as the one its comes with? or which ones are compatible with my computer?

thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So my question is do i need to buy a new logic board thats exactly the same as the one its comes with? or which ones are compatible with my computer?

Get the same logic board...too many parameters trying to do a logic board swap...and I couldn't tell you the last time I heard of someone doing it successfully.

If you're capable of doing the logic board replacement yourself...go to iFixit.com to check out the cost & order it if the cost is in your budget. But believe me...it's not going to be cheap ($500+).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 15" 2.0Ghz
I've read some stuff on people Baking their logic boards in an oven, and that somehow magically fixes them. They didnt say why their logic boards stopped working but do you think it might work with mine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The chances are high that one of the IC's blew due to a short.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've read some stuff on people Baking their logic boards in an oven, and that somehow magically fixes them. They didnt say why their logic boards stopped working but do you think it might work with mine?

I haven't heard of this (not saying it's not true or it didn't happen). And if the logic board is currently non-functional...I guess you don't have anything to loose.

BTW...what temperature are you supposed to "bake" at?;)

Consider that "baking" at too high a temp. could do more damage than good as well. But as I mentioned...if the logic board is already "fried"...can't hurt to try.:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 15" 2.0Ghz

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I've heard of it - but I tend to be a little skeptical of this supposed 'reflow' process. However - as Nick says - if you already have to shell out for a new one - then give it a shot. Noone here will be able to give you a definitive answer regarding whether or not it will work though.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 15" 2.0Ghz
Well when i get time to do it, if this thread is still open i'll let you guys know if it works!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i got the laptop for 150, so ill try baking it, and if it doesn't work i'll just buy the new logic board. but even then i still will have paid substantially less than what it is brand new!

WOW...$150 is a pretty darn good price for a current model MacBook Pro!

The replacement logic board is going to cost you somewhere around $899:

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (Early 2011) 2.0 GHz Logic Board (661-5850) - iFixit

And just so you know (before spending $899)...this MacBook Pro (refurbished) costs $1489 from the Apple Store:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7 - Apple Store (U.S.)

So if the baking idea doesn't work, and you purchased the logic board...you would be into this computer for $899 + $150 = $1049. And this is assuming that nothing else was damaged when the original owner spilled liquid on it.

$1049 is still better than $1489!:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 15" 2.0Ghz
Yeah i got it for a steal! when i picked it up i thought there would be more wrong with it but i took it to the apple store and only the logic board was messed up!

I have a few friends that work for apple, Do you think they can buy the logic board directly from apple with their employee discount, that might save me a few hundred!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a few friends that work for apple, Do you think they can buy the logic board directly from apple with their employee discount, that might save me a few hundred!

Probably a better question for your friends!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.