iPhone asking for different iTunes account verification

Reaction score
I've switched to iOS5, had some problems, and now my phone is doing something it's never done before.

When I try to update apps it's asking me to sign in under my wife iTunes account. On my phone I checked in Settings->Store-> and the apple ID is correct there.

It lets me do things like turn Genius on and off with my credentials, but as soon as I try to update the apps it wants me to use my wife's credentials.

Reaction score
Hmm, I think this is probably because you have downloaded/bought apps using your wife's apple ID before, so it detects that those apps are bought under her ID, and so you have to use her ID to update those particular apps.

To solve the problem go to the App Store and scroll to the bottom, the ID there should be yours, if it's your wife's then just touch it and sign out, and sign in using yours, then go download those apps that you want using your account, and delete the old ones bought using your wife's account. Then in future they should ask you to use your ID.

A warning, though: if you delete them, for some apps, data will be removed. For example some games use game accounts to track purchases and you can restore them, but for some if you delete and re-install them they will treat you as a new user.

Reaction score
everybody tried this at first.
Of course, this does not help. iPhone asks for different account even after i cancelled that account, and also apps that have been installed using my current account keep asking the invalid account.

hence I am unable to install or upgrade ANY application from appstore.

The only solution i found is to jailbreak the device and install all apps via Installous.

Restore is out of question - 90s are over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You either didn't really install those apps using your current account (you have to delete the original, then re-purchase them with your new account), or you still have the old account set as your default in your iPhone and/or iTunes. Go to Settings, then Store, then scroll to the bottom and check your Apple ID. If it's the old one… tap it and sign out.

In iTunes, click on iTunes Store on the left, then check your id in the bar on the right. Change it if need be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.