transferring from Word to iAwriter for iPad

Reaction score
I use iAwriter on the iPad and I want to a transfer Word file from the computer to the iPad. I'm supposed to save it as a .txt file, using unicode utf-16 Big-Endian. But for some reason Word doesn't give me this option, (only utf-8 and little-endian amongst others) and the files open as blank on the iPad. It's very frustrating and I don't understand it at all. Can anyone out there help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just save the file as plain text or use RTF. You should then be able to open and edit the file on your iPad. I'm not familiar with iAwriter but iWork Pages for the iPad can open and edit Word files easily.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply chscag. It doesn't work as rtf and the iAwriter instructions say to save as a .txt file in Big-Endian unicode - which my version of Word doesn't offer as an option when I save a text file. It's really odd. I was wondering if there was a way of getting more options within Word...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's why I suggested you switch to using a better WP program for your iPad. iWork Pages works best. And no, Word options are what they are, you can't add to them.

Reaction score
ms word to ia write.

Hi, i was like you. this is so simple I said this was what I wanted, and then sought ways to bring in my words doc. i didn't give up. yes I prayed and inspiration came.

when you save your doc, select plain text and click save. A box opens. go to the code drop select. and look out for unicode big-endian (without the 16). close close and then enjoy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.