I'm having sooo many problems with iOS 5... Need help!

Reaction score
Still can't sync either device (ipad 2 and iphone 4) over wifi, yes settings are turned ON and device is plugged into power. Photo Stream still isn't sending pictures from one device to another, however they go to my computer just fine, mail isn't syncing, iMessages aren't syncing (some message go to one device, some go to another, some don't come at all). None of it makes sense, I know my settings are correct, I know my Apple ID logins are good. I just don't get it and my frustration with it has grown from an annoyance to getting downright ticked off.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd suggest this:
- ensure your're running the latest version of iTunes
- back up you iPad
- restore your iPad to factory fresh iOS5
- restore your backup
- sync over cable

Repeat for your iPhone.

-Create a new apple ID just for iCloud use (you can have one for purchases and one for iCloud stuff without issue)

- Run through the device setup using the new ID on both.
- Try photostream

- Now connect by cable to iTunes and enable wifi sync.
- Detach and try wifi sync.

If it works try switch to your existing Apple ID and retry

OP
B
Reaction score
I've restored my iPad once already, however I have not tried creating a new iCloud ID. I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. Thanks again for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Still can't sync either device (ipad 2 and iphone 4) over wifi, yes settings are turned ON and device is plugged into power. Photo Stream still isn't sending pictures from one device to another, however they go to my computer just fine, mail isn't syncing, iMessages aren't syncing (some message go to one device, some go to another, some don't come at all). None of it makes sense, I know my settings are correct, I know my Apple ID logins are good. I just don't get it and my frustration with it has grown from an annoyance to getting downright ticked off.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi,
What OS are you running on your computer ? I know from a rather time consuming mullarkey that you will need to upgrade to Lion for things to be settled.
Liam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Hi,
What OS are you running on your computer ? I know from a rather time consuming mullarkey that you will need to upgrade to Lion for things to be settled.
Liam

I can understand why you suggest Lion but....... Photostream works via iCloud. No Mac or pc required.

Also..... If the OS/iTunes version isn't applicable the wifi sync option wouldn't appear at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can understand why you suggest Lion but....... Photostream works via iCloud. No Mac or pc required.

Also..... If the OS/iTunes version isn't applicable the wifi sync option wouldn't appear at all.

My iOS5 install only ever part-synced..I never got the full hit in particular with the back up and subsequent trouble with unplayable/unloaded music.
The iTunes settings panes changed when I upgraded to Lion from Leopard and I had to upgrade to iPhoto 11 to make Photostream work between my iPhone and iMac because in one of the panes iPhoto was greyed out and it said I needed an update. Reminders now works because Lion upgraded iCal which has Reminders bolted in.
All my problems went away when I upgraded.
If the OP is on Lion then working out the syncing logic should be a lot easier than work arounds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do agree... To a point.... (and I suspect the OP is running Lion)....

The op makes no mention of iPhoto issues.

Wifi sync works with snow leopard and lion. Photostream works without either.

If the OP is running Lion great. But upgrading to Lion should not be necessary.

I have most devices (3 iphones, 1 ipad) wirelessly syncing to my iMac running Lion. I don't use iPhoto at all. Photostream works flawlessly, as does wifi sync.

My daughter has a MacBook running snow leopard and an iPod touch that's syncing wirelessly without issue.

I still suspect the root of the photostream issues lies with the IDs used.

The wifi sync could just be iTunes/iOS5 bugs. While I haven't had sync issues I have had iTunes crash a few times.
There have been so many platform/OS/application changes with iOS5, iCloud, OSX it's not too surprising that issues will arise now it's all 'in the wild'. I would expect iTunes, OSX and iOS updates in the not to distant future. Not to mention a bolstering of the iCloud infrastructure now it's under load.

Ramblings of an over-caffeinated geek...... Done. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello mrplow,
Just trying to help because I had a nightmare 4 days of confusion until I upgrade to Lion and THEN upgraded iPhoto and the picture was complete (pardon the pun).

If you don't use iPhoto then how can you view and manage what's in your photo stream? I may be off the beaten track here but those iPhoto11 preferences are pretty specific to what gets uploaded/downloaded in Photostream.

My ramblings are Black Sheep Bitter induced BTW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't manage my photostream. Don't have the need. Just use it as a convenient way to get my iPhone pictures onto my iPad.

Any I want to keep I copy onto my iMac and into Picasa. I'd rather it was a synced process like iPhoto uses but I just can't get on with iPhoto! Much prefer Picasa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't manage my photostream. Don't have the need. Just use it as a convenient way to get my iPhone pictures onto my iPad.

Any I want to keep I copy onto my iMac and into Picasa. I'd rather it was a synced process like iPhoto uses but I just can't get on with iPhoto! Much prefer Picasa

Then can you manage your Photostream just using iCloud?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not 'manage' really.

It'll hold 1000 photos, each for a max of 30 days. Then they 'drop-off' on their own.

The only other control you have on iCloud is to reset the stream - i.e. empty it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh Ok...inertia then. There is an option in iPhoto not to upload new photos to Photostream which may be appropriate from time to time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.