Thinking About Switching

D

Drunken Pirate

Well,
The first computer I can remeber using was a Mac. I took it forgranted, and when I was about 12-13 I asked for a PC. We got a HP pavilion of some sort which ran Windows ME. I didnt notice how bad it wa because I was so happy that I had a PC finally. I thought I would play all the games I couldn't before but I found myself still playing StarCraft (Which I still do today.) Now I have used Windows XP/Vista, and i've been on the linux scene, and im ready for a system that just works. I dont want to tinker, and I dont want to do alot to change it. I just was somthing that works good and that I can play StarCraft on, which a Mac can do.

Anyways,
I am thinking about buying a PowerMac, but I have a few questions.
When they say Dual Proccessors (E.G. Dual 1.2 Ghz Proccessor), does that really mean the computer has the proccessing power equal to a 2.4 Ghz machine? Do all programs utilize both proccessors, or just some. (E.G. Does the OS handle the dual proccesssors or do the programs.) Can I use my regular CRT monitor I have now, or do I have to buy a mac monitor?

Thanks for your time,
Drunken Pirate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Drunken Pirate said:
When they say Dual Proccessors (E.G. Dual 1.2 Ghz Proccessor), does that really mean the computer has the proccessing power equal to a 2.4 Ghz machine?

The short answer to your question is no. Dual processors means that the two processors will take on separate tasks at the same processing speed. With very complicated tasks, this can be very useful to have. In basic computing (I.E. Starcraft, instant messaging, web browsing, e-mail checking, word processing, et cetera), it won't be of much use. In your case, a single core 2.4 GHz machine would be much better than a dual 1.2 GHz.

Do all programs utilize both proccessors, or just some. (E.G. Does the OS handle the dual proccesssors or do the programs.)

The OS handles it to some degree, particularly on its own functions, but not all programs will utilize it. The OS cannot force all of its programs to universally utilize both processors. That being said, more and more, programs that consume a lot of processing power (I.E. Final Cut Pro) DO take advantage of this architecture.

Can I use my regular CRT monitor I have now, or do I have to buy a mac monitor?

Yes, you can absolutely use your old CRT monitor. Depending on your Mac's output though (DVI or ADC or both) you'll most likely have to buy an adapter so you can use VGA monitors. This adapter is not expensive (rarely in excess of 15-20 bucks if you know where to look), however.

OP
D

Drunken Pirate

Thanks, That answered all my questions.
Im thinking I might be better off just buying a iMac or a low end PowerMac.

Oh, One more thing. Can I save a 80 and 30 GB HDD I have from my PC and use it? (ATA)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Not as a system drive. The file format is way different from FAT32 or NTFS. I think you might be able to use it with an external enclosure for pics and other data storage, or as a drive for VirtualPC storage. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
D

Drunken Pirate

Oh yea, I wouldnt be using this as a system drive. But I think I am going to buy a iMac with a 160 GB Drive built it.

Thanks for your help.

OP
I

IcerC

I would try a friends first if you havent used one in a while. And I'd look at a few.

I have the most powerful ImacG5(until a few days ago) and it's a bit slow.
Also the screen is only viewed well from right in front.
The keyboard feels very differerent as well.

I tweaked my PC just how I like it and it runs great... I have more problems with my mac.

OP
D

Drunken Pirate

IcerC, can I ask what your iMac speed/memory is? A 1.9 Ghz machine can run slow if you dont have enough memory. My parents have a Power Mac and I love it, but it ran super slow untill we upgraded the memory. I am also installing Mac OS X x86 on my system to make sure I can do without Windows XP.

About the keyboard, are you talking about Mac vs PC or iMac vs Other Macs? As I stated above my Parents have a Mac, and I like the mouse/keyboard.

OP
L

lil

Drunken Pirate said:
IcerC, can I ask what your iMac speed/memory is? A 1.9 Ghz machine can run slow if you dont have enough memory. My parents have a Power Mac and I love it, but it ran super slow untill we upgraded the memory. I am also installing Mac OS X x86 on my system to make sure I can do without Windows XP.

About the keyboard, are you talking about Mac vs PC or iMac vs Other Macs? As I stated above my Parents have a Mac, and I like the mouse/keyboard.

Even though that is completely illegal... *rolls eyes*

Depends what Power Mac it is. The older Blue and White and Graphite G3/4s have the condensed keyboard (cursors bunched up under the main keys) with coloured bottom and a hockey puck mouse (which I loved, but I have small hands!)

The later ones had a more standard sized optical mouse and the white Apple Extended Keyboard; both of which are very solid and good to use. In all honesty, the Apple Extended Keyboard has a stiffer motion, much more like the older ADB keyboards which is a bonus, it is in the longer term much better to type on as you get more tactile feedback.

Instead of installing an illegal OS -- if you have a local store that carries Apple, go in and plonk yourself down and have a play. There is only one thing I cannot do on my Mac that I need Windows for -- and that is Access.

Thankfully I don't need it often so VirtualPC isn't used hardly at all, but it is there should I need it. Otherwise Macs have always done all the computing I have needed.

Yes you can use the old ATA drives you have there, depending on which Mac it is, if it's a Power mac, sure, just make sure you set up the IDE chain correctly and that there is enough spare channels for adding another two hard disks.

IcerC - what do you mean about the screen exactly? I presume you have a 20" iMac G5?

Vicky :flower:

OP
D

Drunken Pirate

Well I dont feel too bad about using the x86 port because we own a copy of Mac OS X Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Drunken Pirate said:
Well I dont feel too bad about using the x86 port because we own a copy of Mac OS X Tiger.

That doesn't mean you own the X86 version though does it? That is like saying I don't feel bad running stolen software on my computer because I own Windows XP

Whichever way you look at it, or try to justify it, what you are doing is really illegal. :(

OP
L

lil

Remind me next time Microsoft releases Office 2006 or whatever that it's OK to use the pirate version because I have Word 5.1.

In a more constructive sense, if you already have Tiger, why do you need to put it on a PC to make sure you are going to happy using it? Why not sit at the Mac that has Tiger on it, and play around that way PLUS actually be able to use all the cool apps and stuff that are not on x86 yet - and get a real feel for the OS.

That IMO is a much better way to see whether you will get on with it.

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.