2 monitors on G$

Reaction score
2 monitors on G4

Hi
I have a G4 quicksilver mac with Panther 10.3.9.

Is it possible to connect 2 monitors at the same time for dual display? One is a VGA connection, the other is DVi. I have a DVi and VGA connection in the back of the mac.

Thank you

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, do I just connect the 2 monitors or is there a specific way of doing it? Are there any system preferences I'll need to change?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
When you have another monitor attached there will be an "Arrangement" button that will be available in the Display Preference.

While in the Arrangement preference there will be 2 monitor icons …
click on a monitor icon to position it relative to the way that your monitors are actually set up. Move the display up or down to allow an even mouse movement from one display to the other. You can also move a monitor icon to the opposite side of the other monitor icon, if that is how your monitors are set up.

The monitor icon that has the menu bar across the top will be your main monitor (startup). If you want to change the startup monitor, drag the menu bar (at the top of the display icon) and move it from one monitor to the other.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the help so far! I've connected the 2 monitors and started up. So far I get the same image on the 2 monitors, kind of duplicate. When I go to the Display Preference it's still as before, there is no Arrangement preference. Any ideas? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Here is a link to the Quicksilver user's guide
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50018

Page 50 tells about setting up a second monitor.

This is copied from the apple site:

This document discusses how to connect a second display to the Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver 2002).

You can connect two displays to your graphics card and use both displays at the same time. When a second display is connected, you can either have the same image appear on both displays (known as mirroring) or use the second display to extend the size of the Mac OS desktop (known as extended desktop mode).You need a video cable for each display you want to connect.

To use multiple displays:

1. Turn off the displays and shut down your computer.
2. Connect the video cable from each display to the appropriate port on the graphics card.
3. Turn on the displays and start up your computer.

To adjust the displays, choose System Preferences from the Apple Menu and choose Displays from the View menu. By default, your computer starts up in extended desktop mode. To work in video mirroring mode, turn Video Mirroring on with the Displays icon in the menu bar in Mac OS X. You can press the Command key and the F1 key to switch between video mirroring and extended desktop mode.

Important: For optimal mirroring performance, set both displays to the same resolution and color depth.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys, sorted it in the end, didn't realise I needed 2 graphics cards.. doh.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.