Help connecting 2 Macs

Reaction score
Hi there, my name is Alex. I am a long-time Mac user and absolutely adore them. I am wanting to add a new iMac to the family, and need some guidance.

My Macbook is my Audio Engineering Central Control. I'm buying an iMac.

What I want to do, is be able to easily (and wirelessly) exchange files between the two machines. That way when I bang out an idea on my Macbook, I can click a minimal amount to get the file onto the iMac.

The iMac will be the audio powerhouse, the MacBook will be the portable machine.

Flash drives and Dropbox are both viable options. What other options are there? I want my two machines to be as integrated as possible so that my workflow is as smooth as possible.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
System Preferences > Sharing and/or AirDrop (if both machines support it) are you friend here. Both are drop dead easy to set up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 2.9 GHz i7 8 GB RAM, MacBook Pro Mid 2009 13" 2.26 GHz 4 GB RAM
All you have to do is use AirDrop like vansmith mentioned above or enable file sharing and the computers will be viewable from finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
Ideally you'd want wired connections to both (for your smoother/faster transferring of files) but air drop will work.

OP
A
Reaction score
Of course its that easy. Macs rule. My only networking experience comes with trying to connect 2 PCs; boooo.

My MacBook has File Sharing, but no Air Drop. Looks like I have to specify folders to be shared - can I share the entire computer?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yeah, AirDrop is limited to certain machines.

You could share the whole HD but there's little reason to do this. You'd be better off adding folders to the list of shared ones as you need them.

Reaction score
Alex,
I was looking to do some thing similar were by all my programs and files for a small business were on one Imac and wanted to connect a second Imac in such a way that another user can work on those files while they are still actually physically only on the original machine so as to ensure there is only one active copy of them in lieu of transferring a copy to the second machine working on it and transferring it back.Does this fit with your requirements and if so did you make such a thing happen?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.