Trying to reset SMC (I think!!)

Reaction score
Evening all,

My MacBook Pro has just turned extremely slow for no apparent reason, and the fan is really noisy.

I also cannot turn the machine off, every time I do it just restarts.

I'm running OS-X Lion 10.7.2.0.

After looking at various forums and posts and whatnot, I discovered this site:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Though this seemed to be the right way to go, so far nothing has been changed and I have tried a few times, and I suspect that this is because I have to hard shut down the computer because I cannot figure out how to shut it down using normal means.

Please help!

Thanks,
Kerrigor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Does it power off by pressing and holding the power button for 10 seconds? If so.. then yes, the SMC reset is the place to go... I'd ALSO reset the PRAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Well, next up would be deleting preferences...

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

would be the location of the preference files in question, I believe. Personally, I'd just delete (or rename/move) the entire folder and reboot. It'll recreate the preferences on boot.. but you'll have to rejoin networks etc

OP
K
Reaction score
Done that, then restarted and have also dled a fan speed manager and changed settings there.

My next step is to create a new user and see if its the same when logged in as them, as well as finding out if it's better in safe mode.

My problem is that the charger has now stopped working, it works intermittently and I really cannot figure out what is going on with it.

It can be connected but not charging, but it takes a while of wiggling it around for that, and then i try turning it off and on at the wall but it loses the connection. I am really not impressed with this Mac!

Any further ideas?

Thanks,
Kerrigor

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.