How to mirror desktop

Reaction score
The primary display on my iMac 17in late-2006 intel has failed. I can't see the primary display and the display manager is set to show extended desktop. All I can see on the secondary display is a picture. Is there a way of forcing a mirrored desktop if you can't see the primary desktop? Alternatively, is there a way of opening up the system preference windows on the secondary display when you can see to drag there? Thanks, Blair

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
You could try randomly dragging the mouse from one screen to the other to try to nab it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reboot the computer, keep the primary 17" MBP top lid closed. It should boot to the secondary display allowing you to make changes. You will need an external keyboard and mouse to make it work.

OP
B
Reaction score
AppleCider: Thought of that. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to do just that but I can keep trying.

chscag: Thanks, but I have an iMac not a powerbook.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry about that. No way to close the lid on an iMac is there? :Oops:

Can you get access to another Mac? If you can, use Target Disk mode to boot your Mac and then set the display options in System Preferences. You'll need a FW connection on both Macs. See this Apple KB article: LINK

OP
B
Reaction score
chscag: Thanks for this. I do have a G4 desktop with a firewire port and a cable somewhere so can try this. However, I'm murky on what to do if I can get a connection. The iMac will be the target and the G4 the host so system preferences will be for the G4 not the iMac. Presumably there is a configuration file on the iMac that can be edited or even deleted that will force the iMac to use a mirrored desktop when it is disconnected and rebooted. Can you point me to help on that? I've even thought of opening up the iMac and physically disconnecting the defective display. Perhaps the iMac is smart enough to then switch to the secondary dispaly - sort of like keeping the lid closed? Thanks, Blair

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.