Ibook G4 problem

Reaction score
I have an Ibook G4 with 10.4.11 installed, lately I haven't been able to start the computer up, it gets stuck at startup on the gray Apple screen with spinning wheel below. I was wondering how I get the files like movies, music, pics and stuff to my iMac G5 and can I connect the computers move the files and then format my HDD on the ibook so that I can do an OS re-install?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have the new 4S and can't update and sync anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
It sounds like the os is corrupt, if you have a FireWire cable you can. Use target disk mode to boot up the computer and get the files off the iBooks drive. Also you cannot sync iOS 5 with tiger I am pretty sure you need leopard or higher or a pc with xp or higher. You can then boot the ibook so that you restore it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok, would you reccomend that I install Leopard then on the iBook? It has the 1.42 ghz ppc processor and 1.5Gb Ram, will it run smoothly?? I might also upgrade the hard drive, reccomendations appreciated??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I would say you could it might be a little leggy compared to tiger. It might be hard/expensive to get leopard. I am going to install leopard on my iBook when I get the money.

OP
B
Reaction score
Well I have already started the "chore" of taking the g4 apart, I was thinking on removing the hard drive, using a data transfer cable to transfer the files to the iMac g5 then replace the hard drive in the G4 with an SSD and then installing leopard, I know i'm looking at more $$$ but that's ok, I was hoping the addition of the SSD would also help the G4 run more smoothly and fluid. Thoughts??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...I was hoping the addition of the SSD would also help the G4 run more smoothly and fluid. Thoughts??

BIG BIG BIG waste of money! The SSD will cost you more than the value of the computer. Plus you need a 2.5" "IDE" laptop HD...and I'm not even sure you can get an "IDE" SSD drive.

If you can...it will be much more expensive than the more commonly available (and still expensive) SATA SSD laptop drives.

Edit: Just did a little research. You can get an IDE (PATA) 2.5" SSD drive...but it's only 32gig & $116.47:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T9QRKE/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Here's a 16gig IDE SSD for $196.99:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3213998&CatId=5301

- Nick

p.s. FYI...Your computer is worth about $150 (maybe less).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Some may tell you otherwise but here is my take.

You own the 14" iBook, the very last one made before the Intel Macs took over. I own the same machine but the 12" with the 1.33Ghz G4 and 1.5GB RAM and newer 120GB hard drive. It's running the latest 10.5 Leopard 10.5.8. It's a bit slower in some things then 10.4 Tiger but.... Tiger is getting old and many apps will not run, especially newer versions and even some sites will have issues in Safari. I would go with Leopard and you will have a more compatible OS. It's not that bad but a little pause here and there loading some things. I would never go back to Tiger on my iBook and I use it all the time.

Keep us posted how it all goes. Only thing is 10.5 is not cheap! Check Ebay.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.