Anyone use the Telephone App on their Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
If so, what sip provider do you use/like/recommend/hate? I can make outbound calls using Google Voice just fine - good audio, no drops, and free. But they have no numbers available for inbound calling and probably won't.

I want a low cost provider, but it doesn't have to be free. Just reliable. Don't need international calling - just U.S.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I use Google voice for outbound and inbound free calling. They assigned a number to me the day I registered. No inbound numbers in your area?

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I use Google voice for outbound and inbound free calling. They assigned a number to me the day I registered. No inbound numbers in your area?

Nope. There are a few in various towns in the state, but all would be long distance for anybody I know. Apparently it is a major problem. I see complaints on the forums about "Why are there no inbound numbers for the entire state of California!" and so forth. There are none for my zip code or any ZC for fifty miles around, and about 25 for my entire area code.

Shame, since the Google outbound calling is solid and has great audio.

So, to get full phone access, I have to find another SIP provider. The one that everyone recommends doesn't support Lion. Go figure that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.