Why is my disk space so limited? Discrepancies in distribution/amount of files?

Reaction score
I originally posted this on yahoo answers, but when an error in their site stopped me from doing that effectively, I joined these forums.

I have a Macbook Pro with an i7 processor, running OS X Lion 10.7.1, 4GB ram, etc, with a 120GB solid state hard drive.

I have been clearing out files to free up space, but for some reason I still do not have very much! I cannot account for the discrepancy between the amount of files I have on my computer and the amount of space occupied on my hard drive. I have tried a few programs to help me understand this, and as you can see if you look at my linked picture, these programs have helped to highlight a strange discrepancy. If you look at the numbers across the screen, you can see a lot of information about my data distribution, and it does not add up logically.

Can someone provide insight?

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9894/computerissue.png

Let me reiterate ... this will not make sense if you do not look at that link in which my picture is enclosed.

Also, for some reason, there is a large folder that is either private or is called 'private' which was created this August (a year after I bought the computer) and is 5.8gb. I assume since it was created in August that it is not a vital system file that my computer has been relying on the whole time -

So, how do I delete it,
and what is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Under the About this Mac, more info section, what's under storage?

Is a bunch of it in Backup?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I originally posted this on yahoo answers, but when an error in their site stopped me from doing that effectively, I joined these forums.

I wouldn't say this is exactly the best way to introduce yourself!!!

How are we supposed to react to this statement???...since as you stated...Mac-Forums was your 2nd choice to find help (and only after Yahoo Answers had a site error)???:Confused:

Kind of like saying..."I wanted a T-bone steak...but I guess a hamburger will do!";)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I wouldn't say this is exactly the best way to introduce yourself!!!

How are we supposed to react to this statement???...since as you stated...Mac-Forums was your 2nd choice to find help (and only after Yahoo Answers had a site error)???:Confused:

Kind of like saying..."I wanted a T-bone steak...but I guess a hamburger will do!";)

- Nick

I didn't mean to sound like a jerk, I was just explaining that I was a new user of this forums. I don't belong to any other mac forums and this was my first choice among them. Yahoo Answers is good too, and it's what I have more experience with. But it proved unreliable.

I followed the above instructions:
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8804/screenshot20111018at401.png

Not a lot of backup, but a lot of "Other" stuff... I don't know what that is but it is certainly disturbing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.