OS X 10.6.8 Crash

Reaction score
My system has begun to crash. I'm running 10.6.8 on a MacBook with 4GB RAM that has been running fine for years. There seems to be no correlation between what I'm doing and when it crashes. The console shows the same error message:

MDS Error: unable to create user DBs in /var/folders/mM/mMrE79I7HvWfkulL23pdK++++TM/-Caches-//mds

This error message comes from Google Chrome or eaopleclient or GrowlHelperApp or iTunes or mdworker or loginwindow. Basically anything that's running at the time.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks very much,
Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Growl may well be the problem, just do a Google on Growl causing system crash.

Also boot from your system install disk and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. Hard drive may also be the villain.

OP
S
Reaction score
Growl may well be the problem, just do a Google on Growl causing system crash.

Also boot from your system install disk and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. Hard drive may also be the villain.

Thanks for your reply. Hard drive is fine apparently. Quit Growl, removed from login items, logged back in and a few minutes later I crashed again. So Growl isn't the problem either :(

Do you have any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You may be looking at a clean install and then add your applications/utilities one at a time until you find the culprit. Was easier is Classic days could boot with extensions turned off, turn them on one at a time until the culprit revealed itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.