Choosing an iPad 2; entry-level 16GB or more? Considering iCloud...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
...is there any necessity for an internal volume of storage greater than the basic amount (which is hardly small itself) these days?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Depends entirely on your usage..if you plan on storing a lot of music, movies, shows and so on, then the 16GB will be eaten up quickly. I mainly use my 16GB iPad 2 for streaming music, a lot of various apps (for all family members), browsing and e-mail..in my case I use about 6GB of storage..so this works for me..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Depends how much music/photos/videos/apps you put on it?

If you're efficient, by only putting the things on there that you use, then 16gb will be more than enough.

I've got a 32gd iPad, and rarely go over 10gb by cycling my music, and removing apps that I haven't used for a while, but still keeping them on the iMac in case I decide to use them again.

That's my approach to it, anyway. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
It's all about the media. But don't forget Apps can take up a bunch of room too. I have a 64GB iPad filled to the brim with music, apps and movies. I have a few magazine apps that take up a pile of space when a new issue is downloaded. Not to mention Map apps that download the entire map to the iPad. But if you don't do these things and only use it for internet and streaming then you don't need a large iPad.

I travel a lot and I don't have the luxury of internet access on long plane flights so I like having my media with me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
My first one was a 32GB, but the current "2" is only 16GB. I found that I just wasn't using the space. Now the 16GB is less than half full.

Reaction score
...is there any necessity for an internal volume of storage greater than the basic amount (which is hardly small itself) these days?

It depends what you want to do on your iPad. If you want to watch movies a lot 16 GB is filled quickly

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.