• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

IMAC G5 20" 2.1 ghz 1.5gb ram 250 gb hd just ordered, sweet!~~~~~

Reaction score
I just ordered the brand new iMac G5 20" 2.1 ghz.
I'm doing work in final cut so i upgraged the ram to 1.5 gb.
any comments?

S

sursuciofla

Yes, I have one comment! Send it to me, my address is..........................

I would max out the memory. Dump that 512 and drop in another gig.

OP
E
Reaction score
in case you havent been following the new iMac G5, you can only have 512 + 0, 512 + 1024, 512 + 2024, the 512 is built in and can not be remove, but apple has realeased the 2gb chip for the iMac but its 1400 cnd.

S

sursuciofla

EDIT-XTREEM said:
in case you havent been following the new iMac G5, you can only have 512 + 0, 512 + 1024, 512 + 2024, the 512 is built in and can not be remove, but apple has realeased the 2gb chip for the iMac but its 1400 cnd.

NOT TRUE. You can put a max 2.5GB of RAM into the two slots. It is NOT built-in. It is a BTO of 512 but it not soldered in like on iBooks. You can put a 2GB and a 512 to max it out, if you wanted just 2GB you can put two 1GB sticks into the two slots. Unless Apple is being deceiving on this trying to get you to buy the 2GB stick. They don't mention BUILT-IN on any of the specs but it does mention one slot. To me that means one open slot but it doesn't mean you can't take out the 512 that is already in there. Call me wrong but either I am wrong or Apple is trying to deceive the customer so it is one or the other.

S

sursuciofla

Just another comment. If you are forced to buy a 2GB stick to get over the 2GB mark then I would rather have a Rev B, since Apple already seriously inflates their memory.

OP
E
Reaction score
you can only have 512, 1.5, 2.5, apple makes you get a 2 gb chip if you want to get 2 + gb ram

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If Apple can get a 2GB stick of memory. Then all you need to do wait. The 2GB stick should be available soon, from a third party.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.