Firefox upgrade for os 10.4?

Reaction score
i have 1. 33 GHz PowerPC G4, OS Tiger 10.4.11, my browser is Firefox 3.6.23 and i have Yahoo as my email. here's my situation and my question:

am an american living in Mexico, no Authorized Apple Reseller or apple store near me, so if anything happened to my Mac, probably be screwed. i know my OS is outdated, not supported by Apple or Mozilla anymore AND Yahoo tells me at various times, my Firefox 3.6 version is becoming obsolete.

question 1: can my Mac upgrade to Leopard 10.5 or not? in the past thought i was told NO....not enough memory or something. i have 40 GB HD and 1 GB memory.

question 2: just want to keep this simple as possible; would rather at this point if i must, just download newer version of Firefox. what version would that be which would be compatible for OS 10.4? ALSO...Yahoo has Firefox for Yahoo 5 which says would work...any good? Firefox for Yahoo 4??

thanks for all help and if more info. is needed, please ask. kurt

OP
K
Reaction score
OS 10.4 and Firefox Upgrade?

i have 1. 33 GHz PowerPC G4, OS Tiger 10. 4. 11, my browser is Firefox 3. 6. 23 and i have Yahoo as my email. here's my situation and my question:

am an american living in Mexico, no Authorized Apple Reseller or apple store near me, so if anything happened to my Mac, probably be screwed. i know my OS is outdated, not supported by Apple or Mozilla anymore AND Yahoo tells me at various times, my Firefox 3. 6 version is becoming obsolete.

question 1: can my Mac upgrade to Leopard 10. 5 or not? in the past thought i was told NO....not enough memory or something. i have 40 GB HD and 1 GB memory.

question 2: just want to keep this simple as possible; would rather at this point if i must, just download newer version of Firefox. what version would that be which would be compatible for OS 10. 4? ALSO...Yahoo has Firefox for Yahoo 5 which says would work...any good? Firefox for Yahoo 4??

thanks for all help and if more info. is needed, please ask. kurt

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Merged threads - please don't crosspost (post the same thread in different forums).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes the 1.33GHz G4 will handle Leopard OS X.5, the final operating system for non-Intel machines. Expect to pay over $100 for Leopard and make sure you purchase the black full retail install version.

Older version of Firefox here and 3.6.23 is it alas:-

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

OP
K
Reaction score
OS 10.4 and Firefox

thanks for your info., but i doubt i'll get the upgrade to 10.5 right now; instead i was reading about tenfourfox and that seems to be ok as a way to get to Firefox 4 from 3.6.23 which i have now. with OS 10.4 i CANNOT run Firefox 4...that begins with OS 10.5.

what do you know about tenfourfox? would you recommend? thanks, kurt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
I installed tenfourfox on my G4 and it's nice.

Haven't powered up the old G4 in a while to update it but it ran very well.

One thing to note. Even though it works well, there still isn't any Java support as SUN dropped PPC so make sure you are have HTML 5 alternatives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for your info., but i doubt i'll get the upgrade to 10.5 right now; instead i was reading about tenfourfox and that seems to be ok as a way to get to Firefox 4 from 3.6.23 which i have now. with OS 10.4 i CANNOT run Firefox 4...that begins with OS 10.5.

what do you know about tenfourfox? would you recommend? thanks, kurt

BTW, Tenfourfox is up to v.7 just like Firefox.

OP
K
Reaction score
there still isn't any Java support as SUN dropped PPC so make sure you are have HTML 5 alternatives.

thanks mike,

don't know a lot about HTML, but from what i read on TENFOURFOX, it's referring to MacTubes in place of Flash? [Flash MAY work]. correct?

and i know Java is gone, so what is the alternative to that? thanks, kurt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there still isn't any Java support as SUN dropped PPC so make sure you are have HTML 5 alternatives.

thanks mike,

don't know a lot about HTML, but from what i read on TENFOURFOX, it's referring to MacTubes in place of Flash? [Flash MAY work]. correct?

and i know Java is gone, so what is the alternative to that? thanks, kurt

HTML 5 is pretty much your alternative. Youtube has an HTML 5 area for watching videos and there are others sites as well but it isn't as widely used as flash yet.

OP
K
Reaction score
ok, now i'm totally confused. if i don't have flash nor java, what do i do? can you explain clearly? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The last Java update that Apple pushed with 10.4 should run most if not all Java applications. I wouldn't worry about that.

Flash on the other hand has a nasty feature where some sites require the latest version of flash running and will not accept the last version that was released for PPC.

In this case, there is no flash hack that I am aware of to let a PPC view current flash based sites.

HTML 5.0 contains many of the capabilities that flash provided so many sites are starting to offer HTML 5.0 alternative sites to their flash content. the most popular site to offer content in HTML 5.0 is youtube. The problem here is that it is up to the content provider to decide if they want to switch to HTML 5.0 or remain with flash. Many flash based sites still have not switched and in those cases, there is no way to view their content on a PPC based Mac.

The fact of the matter is that PPC based Macs are getting more and more obsolete (Particularly where the web is concerned) as support is dropped bit by bit. Eventually the user base will become too small to devote resources to and they will lose all support.

If this is a hobby machine, then looking into all of these alternatives to keep it up and running will be a fun challenge. If you are expecting a PPC based system to be your primary computer, you may be looking at more trouble than it's worth (Unless you have PPC specific software that cannot run on a modern Mac) and upgrading to an Intel based Mac would be recommended.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
HTML 5.0 contains many of the capabilities that flash provided so many sites are starting to offer HTML 5.0 alternative sites to their flash content. the most popular site to offer content in HTML 5.0 is youtube. The problem here is that it is up to the content provider to decide if they want to switch to HTML 5.0 or remain with flash. Many flash based sites still have not switched and in those cases, there is no way to view their content on a PPC based Mac.
One thing to note is that HTML5 support across browsers is different whereas Flash works the same way regardless of the browser being used (since the plug-in is doing the work, not the browser). For instance, Safari does not support WebM video while Firefox, Chrome and Opera do. That said, Safari is the only browser to support H.264 video. This is something to keep in mind - HTML5 functionality differs greatly across browsers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing to note is that HTML5 support across browsers is different whereas Flash works the same way regardless of the browser being used (since the plug-in is doing the work, not the browser). For instance, Safari does not support WebM video while Firefox, Chrome and Opera do. That said, Safari is the only browser to support H.264 video. This is something to keep in mind - HTML5 functionality differs greatly across browsers.

As far as PPC 10.4.x goes, does the compatable version of Safari even have HTML 5.0 support? And for that matter, I haven't looked into Opera or Chrome so I don't know if they have current browsers that will run on 10.4.x PPC.

OP
K
Reaction score
my machine is my PRIMARY machine. keep in mind, as i stated in my original post, that i am american living in mexico right now and Apple stuff is not easily available as in USA. mikes' point is well taken...10.4 will be made more obsolete, i understand.

new [used] intel-based machine is out of question down here. so...will go with upgrading with browser from Tenfourfox.

and to Vansmith...i could at some point upgrade to 10.5 leopard, but want to do simplest fix for the present. ALSO...would that Leopard OS ship physically or is it a download? mexican mail can be funky.

thanks to you both for all your help, very succinct and professional....and NOT snotty or rude!!! kurt

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.