Updating from 10.4.11 *Advice needed*

Reaction score
Hey guys. I need some advice for updating my MacBook. I'm currently running 10.4.11 but have now started encountering problems with iTunes updates now being available for my OS-X software & also for dreamweaver cs3. I want to update my operating system but am not sure which way to go because of compatibility issues. I'm not concerned about losing anything on my MacBook.

MacBook - OS X
version 10.4.11
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1Gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Thanks,
Todd Lockley

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey guys. I need some advice for updating my MacBook. I'm currently running 10.4.11 but have now started encountering problems with iTunes updates now being available for my OS-X software & also for dreamweaver cs3. I want to update my operating system but am not sure which way to go because of compatibility issues. I'm not concerned about losing anything on my MacBook.

First: You didn't really say what the problems are with iTunes...so it's hard to suggest what you need to do (i.e. suggest which OS to upgrade to).

Second: What's the deal with CS3? You said that you're not concerned with losing anything on your MacBook...but what happens if you update the OS...and find out that CS3 (a very expensive set of programs to upgrade to CS4 or CS5)...is not compatible with the updated OS?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
First: You didn't really say what the problems are with iTunes...so it's hard to suggest what you need to do (i.e. suggest which OS to upgrade to).

His issue is with iTunes updates and its availability.

Your system will be able to handle up to 10.7 lion but I would stick with 10.6 snow leopard for now. You would definitely need to upgrade your memory. And it would be wise to upgrade to atleast CS4 as their are many known issues with CS3 in 10.6.

OP
T
Reaction score
hey, thanks for your reply. well i cannot download the latest version of itunes because its for 10.5 or higher & i usually run dreamweaver on pc but that broke down recently so have brought it for mac and i cannot install it with 10.4.11 i have all the discs for cs3 so i can simply reinstall when my OS is updated. I really need advice as to which OS to update to and which is compatible for my MacBook e.g if i brought snow leopard 10.6 would it be okay on my computer etc?

thanks again,

OP
T
Reaction score
thanks blairtechguy,

how much would i be looking at to upgrade my memory & snow leopard? would it be a case for the apple store?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Snow leopard is $29 from the apple store, and memory you are looking at anywhere from $10-$15 per Gb on newegg ( I'd get atleast another 1Gb ).

OP
T
Reaction score
Nice one. Will Snow Leopard run without the memory? Only run one or two apps at once max. Only keep a handful of programs installed at once on the actual machine. Is it simple to install memory on MacBooks? haven't attempted it before if I'm honest.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep Snow Leopard needs 1gb minimum to run. Your CS3 will chug though, it is a memory hog.

I myself have not dealt with changing macbook memory ( I deal with servers and mac desktops) but I'm sure with a quick googling there will be good step by step guides.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.