Recommend a good mouse for Powerbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
I'm after a multi button mouse for my powerbook. Having heard there have been problems with the side buttons on the Mighty mouse and ive got no where i can go to have a test go on. I was looking at the Logitech Laser G5 but the cord on it 80" far too long for my PB. Can anyone recommend a multi button mouse, with a good dpi to use for my powerbook and corded as well i don't want to worry about batteries and dongles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I use the Kensington Optical Elite for both my laptop and my desktop.. apparently I really like it :)

L

lil

Murlyn said:
I use the Kensington Optical Elite for both my laptop and my desktop.. apparently I really like it :)

I use the little Microsoft mini notebook mouse, it's silver, optical, two button, USB cord (quite short mind, about 2' long) with scroll wheel.

They're about £10 these days.

Called a "Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse'

If you can stand the MS logo :flower: I definitely recommend it, had mine for 2 years and still working like new and silver, and small :flower:

This is it.

Vicky :flower:

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kensington Optical Elite-Cool its got good reviews and is quite cheap- do you know how many dpi its and how long the cord is?

PS can you program the other two minor buttons for other stuff like spotlight or open up applications etc?

Cheers for the reply Vicky but I'm after a multi button mouse like the mighty mouse (BTW if anyone has the mighty mouse could they let me know how the mouse is)

I'm asking all these questions as I am doing a graphic design degree and can't carry my old trackball mouse with me to uni but still want something that is precise and good quality.

L

lil

That's OK :flower:

I still sometimes take multibutton to mean 2 hehe. It does have a third button (depressing the scroll wheel) but not in the sense you mean.

I have used the Mighty Mouse and - I'm not sure. It's not bad, not at all. But if I am going to use a two button mouse, I like to know the buttons are there as opposed to cloaked under under one. I'd suggest something else personally but that's my preference, consider the Mighty Mouse's cost -- you can get a very decent non-Apple mouse for the same cost which to mind will probably be better.

Vicky

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah the Logitech Laser G5 seemed the ideal mouse, precise and good quality but the cord is 80 INCHES! plus I emailed logitech and they said they had no plans of releasing a Mac Driver. I can get the Mighty Mouse brand new and shipped for under £32 from apple education but that is still a lot of money.

L

lil

randomfactor said:
Yeah the Logitech Laser G5 seemed the ideal mouse, precise and good quality but the cord is 80 INCHES!

I can't imagine what someone would want a 7' long nigh enough cord!

Vicky

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Supposedly its mainly for gaming thats why its 2000 dpi mouse, dooes anyone know how many dpi a mouse has got to have to make it a laser mouse as the mighty mouse has 800dpi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
I use Microsoft optical 5 button intellimouse - the one here has a five year warranty

http://www.raidentech.com/x06-26230.html

If wiring is a problem, why not go for a BlueTooth option? There is a BT intellimouse explorer for not much more than the might mouse corded.

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to go to the Apple Store in Regents Street in early November so I'll give the mighty mouse and others a thorough test but thanks to everyones input I'll take it into consideration.

PS- I found out that any mouse with 800dpi and above is classed as laser mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
randomfactor said:
Kensington Optical Elite-Cool its got good reviews and is quite cheap- do you know how many dpi its and how long the cord is?

PS can you program the other two minor buttons for other stuff like spotlight or open up applications etc?

The cord is 6 foot and I have no clue what the dpi is.. I can't seem to find anything about it on the kensington site. And yeah the software is what makes these mice so awesome. I can program each button to do something different, then I can program if I click both right and left together and I can program both right and left side buttons together. You can do pretty much anything you want with these mice :)

You might want to look at some of their mobile mice if you feel that the cord is too long:

http://www.kensington.com/html/6270.html

Although they all look like 2 button mice :(

S

sursuciofla

I recommend Fival. He is by far the best mouse ever. I remember when I was little I loved his movie "An American Tail". Yeah that's the one I like. :black:

I use three different. My Intuos3 Tablet mouse when I am on that and my Logitech notebook mouse with dongle. But other than that I have nothing to recommend since you said no dongle or batteries. My Intuos mouse is the best since it is cordless and uses no batteries and is used by moving it on top of the tablet surface. By far I love that the most.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
logitech mx310
~<$30
5 buttons; i've got expose and dashboard programmed on mine.
800dpi or something...
the cord isn't terribly long; i've got the excess wrapped in a ziptie.
not too big, not too small.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Kyomii said:
I use Microsoft optical 5 button intellimouse - the one here has a five year warranty

http://www.raidentech.com/x06-26230.html

If wiring is a problem, why not go for a BlueTooth option? There is a BT intellimouse explorer for not much more than the might mouse corded.

thats the mouse i use and its sweet for me and i can play Raven Shield with it pretty good, i just had to turn the sensitivity up a little and there is a mac driver for it as well

L

lil

sursuciofla said:
I use three different. My Intuos3 Tablet mouse ... By far I love that the most.

I'm assuming the two buttons on the side don't annoy you?

I always find they get in the way as such my Intuos 3's mouse is usually sat plonked out of the way.

There again I just love the solid feel of the old Apple Desktop Bus Mouse. Shame it is ADB only, and not optical either...

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I just got the Logitech MX1000 for $60. I wish I would've checked Newegg.com, for they have it for $50.

I think it's upwards of 1000 dpi, laser, 10 buttons, incredibly comfortable, smooth, and works with Mac.

I downloaded USB Overdrive from MacUpdate.com and can now control individual programs...for example, in Final Cut I have some buttons for Undo, Jog, and zoom, but those same buttons when I'm in Safari do the Back, Forward, and OpenNewTab.

It's a really great mouse. Oooops, it's wireless. But it has rechargeable batteries and can be set on it's stand when you're not using it, and it has an OFF/ON switch for storage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
am a logitech fan. i have the laser G5, but it won't work on mac. Peecee only.
but there's the Razer mouse which is one of the leading gaming mouse. It has recently launched a new mouse for mac....
It's white and it also has a white steelpad....

http://www.razerpro.com/

razer.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I only use trackball mice on my desktops, but I picked up an Apple Mighty Mouse for my iBook. I'm pretty impressed by it. It's multi buttoned and somewhat programable. The only short comming I have found is that it is not totaly programable. You can't custom program the buttons, you can only use the defaults that Apple included. Other than that I like it, particularly the vertical and horizontal scrolling capability.

Reaction score
i just got the apple bluetooth 2 button mouse,
its pretty sweet but expensivo

Reaction score
blackmagicxx said:
i just got the apple bluetooth 2 button mouse,
its pretty sweet but expensivo

2 button bluetooth? Am I missing something, they only have a 1 button for sale on the website.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.