HELP!! New Hard Drive. Need help installing OS on it please.

Reaction score
I've searched all over here, and found some good info, but couldn't find the same problem I'm having.
I think the CD drive in my Macbook is toast. It keeps spitting out disks when I try to put them in and start the computer pushing the "C" key.

I was able to start the MacBook in the mode when you press the "T" key. I used another computer to format the drive with Disk Utility through a firewire. Formatted as 1 partition journaled. I then copied the install disks 1 and 2 of OS X 10.2 onto the MacBook HD. This is the only version I have, I'll upgrade once I can get something to work.
When starting the MacBook and pressing the "C" key, all I get is an image of a file folder with a question mark.

Did I miss a step?
What am I doing wrong?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did I miss a step?
What am I doing wrong?

You can't install OS X 10.2 on a MacBook. You need the original disks that came with the machine or a later retail version of OS X. What year model is your MacBook?

OP
H
Reaction score
Looks like it's from sometime between May 16th and Nov. 8th 2006.
I bought it used as a return item... Without the discs obviously.

How do I load a retail version on it with a bad CD drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The MacBook originally came pre-installed with Tiger (OS X 10.4) so you will need at least that or a later version. You can do the same thing you did with OS X 10.2 once you get the correct disks for your machine. Otherwise you have no other choice but to install a new optical drive.

OP
H
Reaction score
I GOT IT!! Might not be the best way, but it was the only way I could figure out.

Downloaded SuperDuper on the first computer, and while in target disk mode, I copied the entire contents of the hard drive on my mom's computer onto mine. Fortunately she doesn't have much on there.
I ejected my HD from her computer, and turned mine off. I then hit the power button, and crossed my fingers.
It loaded up perfectly. Just had to change some passwords, and authorities.
Now to go through and clean off what I don't want, and re-set all my bookmarks, etc...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.