corrupt file help

Reaction score
i have a corrupt that is on two of my back up drives
when i open certain folders and scroll down
when i get close to the files i think are to blame
the window disapears
if i keep reopening it the windows flash on and off till i have to hold the power button down
all my files are phoros
i'm running os x 10.6.8
i get this in the console

11-10-17 9:22:39 PM com.apple.Finder[112] Finder(112,0x7fff70a86ca0) malloc: *** error for object 0x10185a408: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed.
11-10-17 9:22:39 PM com.apple.Finder[112] *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
11-10-17 9:22:45 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[106] (com.apple.Finder[112]) Job appears to have crashed: Abort trap
11-10-17 9:22:47 PM ReportCrash[180] Saved crash report for Finder[112] version 10.6.8 (10.6.8) to /Users/grahamkennedy/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Finder_2011-10-17-212247_graham-kennedys-Mac-Pro.crash

how do i figure out what files are corrupt and delete them when i get near them

thanks

g

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You say the suspected corrupt files are on external drives? If that's true, try running Disk Utility and do a verify and repair on each drive. I'm not sure if Disk Utility can spot a corrupt file or not but give it a try anyway.

Otherwise you'll need specialized software to find the corrupted files. Something like Data Rescue 3. (which is expensive)

OP
G
Reaction score
yes i tried disk utility
anyone know of any software that can detect corrupt file
i have data rescue 3 bt it wont identify the files i need to trash

g

Reaction score
Hi,

I had the same problem, except the corrupted files were in the ~/Library/Preferences folder, on a MacBook Pro running Snow Leo.

Here is what worked for me:

- Open the problematic folder
- Scroll very slowly until the finder crashes
- The corrupted file(s) is (are) the one(s) about to be displayed
- Access the folder thru the network (I used an iMac G5 running Tiger)
- Trash the file(s)
- File(s) is (are) deleted immediately since it's through the network
- Problem solved

That said, I'm pretty sure the network steps are unnecessary and the corrupted files could be sent to the trash locally (maybe by scrolling very slowly, selecting the bad files with the arrow keys, sending them to trash with command-delete).

W.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.