20" g5 iMac. No power. Help please

Reaction score
Bought a g5 iMac 20" off eBay..
It has no power. No diagnostic LEDs come on when I apply power,not even led1 to show correct voltages.

There was one capacitor that bubbled a bit on the psu so I replaced it but still nothing...

If there is a major fault with the logic board will these LEDs still light up?

Just wondering should I buy a working psu or could it be the logic board still?

Any help or advice be much appreciated.
I've checked the fuse and had a good visual look

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Interesting, if none of the LED's are lighting up, I'd suspect the PSU is to be at fault. Even if the logic board was damaged, you should still be getting some sort of power.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What was the condition of this iMac when you bought it from e-Bay (working non-working)? What were your expectations if it wasn't working (that you could get it working)?

These iMac's are like laptops...there aren't a whole lot of parts that you can swap to make a non-working computer into a working one. If the logic board is bad...then you need a whole new logic board (other than maybe a swollen capacitor replacement).

Sounds like this purchase was a "roll of the dice" (I've done it)!;) Sometimes it works out...and sometimes not. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for it.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi nick, yip ,roll of the dice is a good description.
I paid £83.01 delivered for the 20" iMac.
I bought one last month that had intermittent power and it was just a cap replacement on psu to get it going,was hoping this would be same but all caps look spot on after I changed the only suspect looking one.

Macdude; I'd expect led1 to also light so hoping it's just psu issue.

There is one resistor that has colour coding off it..it lines up with very slight scorch mark on lid of psu, measures 3mega ohm.. Thinking it may have a fault around this area.

Wish I could get a circuit diagram for the psu :) make life so easy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.