Need advice/help on best way to setup wifes new iPad2 in our house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 6,2 / iMac 17" 2009, iPad, iPad2, iPhone 4
I am giving my wife an iPad2 tomorrow. She does not have an iTunes account. I of course have an iTunes account as I have just about every possible iDevice available.

I was wondering what the best way to set up her iPad would be. Is she going to have to buy all the apps that I have that she wants on her ipad? Should I setup a seperate user account for her on my computer so she has her own iTunes account?

I don't feel like buying all of my apps again so she can use have them on her iPad as well but if that is the rule then of course I will. I just thought I would defer to the experts on the most efficient way to setup her up without having to repurchase 1000's of songs and a lot off apps.

Thanks in advance.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I am giving my wife an iPad2 tomorrow. She does not have an iTunes account. I of course have an iTunes account as I have just about every possible iDevice available.

I was wondering what the best way to set up her iPad would be. Is she going to have to buy all the apps that I have that she wants on her ipad? Should I setup a seperate user account for her on my computer so she has her own iTunes account?

I don't feel like buying all of my apps again so she can use have them on her iPad as well but if that is the rule then of course I will. I just thought I would defer to the experts on the most efficient way to setup her up without having to repurchase 1000's of songs and a lot off apps.

Thanks in advance.

Set up a seperate User account on your MBP, and then login as your wife and sync the iPad using your iTunes account.
This is what my wife and I do. She can download all the APPs you have previously purchased, but it keeps playlists and everything else seperate.

EDIT: This also means that when she eventually moves to her own MBP or MBA you can migrate her User account and all is good.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply! So I set up a new user account with her name on it but log into iTunes with my account and she can download all the of the apps I have purchased? Will her ipad need to be named the same as mine? Can she also sync my music? I really appreciate the help.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply! So I set up a new user account with her name on it but log into iTunes with my account and she can download all the of the apps I have purchased? Will her ipad need to be named the same as mine? Can she also sync my music? I really appreciate the help.

No, give her iPad a different name. You will need to set iTunes library sharing if you want her to have access to your music.
Though, now with iCloud all music purchases will be freely downloadable to all the iDevices using your iTunes account.

My wife and I each have our own iPhone and iPad (all originally synced to one Mac, but different User Accounts). We share the single iTunes account and now have seperate computers (not required, but nice).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, give her iPad a different name. You will need to set iTunes library sharing if you want her to have access to your music.
Though, now with iCloud all music purchases will be freely downloadable to all the iDevices using your iTunes account.

My wife and I each have our own iPhone and iPad (all originally synced to one Mac, but different User Accounts). We share the single iTunes account and now have seperate computers (not required, but nice).

You rock! :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.