Getting files off of an ancient MAC 9500 - How?

Reaction score
Yes, I know this computer is ancient, but I never got my files off of it when I replaced it with a G5 as I didn't understand Apples directions. I even have a PLI drive as well as a ZIP drive I used with it and cartridges for both. Yeah, I know...I know....LOL! OK, so if I can start the old gal up, and get my PLI and zip files onto it, how do I get those files onto a new G-Drive USB drive? I can't upload to file storage places online as I don't have a current OX

A cable place recommended a CAT 5 cable but what to do, and how do I do it? Is that the easiest way? Can really use some creative ideas.

I have someone wanting to buy my G5 system and have a brand new iMAC in the box waiting, but I have to get the files off before I let go of the monitor.

PLEASE help :) Would be so much appreciated!

Thanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Yes, I know this computer is ancient, but I never got my files off of it when I replaced it with a G5 as I didn't understand Apples directions. I even have a PLI drive as well as a ZIP drive I used with it and cartridges for both. Yeah, I know...I know....LOL! OK, so if I can start the old gal up, and get my PLI and zip files onto it, how do I get those files onto a new G-Drive USB drive? I can't upload to file storage places online as I don't have a current OX

A cable place recommended a CAT 5 cable but what to do, and how do I do it? Is that the easiest way? Can really use some creative ideas.

I have someone wanting to buy my G5 system and have a brand new iMAC in the box waiting, but I have to get the files off before I let go of the monitor.

Thanks!
Don't really have an answer, more of a question.

If you haven't used or needed the files for that long (now have a second generation replacement in your new-in-the-box iMac) why do you need to transfer the files?

If you have them on floppies, cartriges, zip discs etc just hold on to them if it makes you feel better. Then, if you really do end up needing them you can purchase hardware for the transfer (realizing that current software probably won't read any of it except text files anyway). While you are at it pull your floppy drive and zip drive and stash them away too, interface cables may be available to allow you to run them as external drives (assuming they are IDE interface--which I am not certain of given the age of the computer).

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Razormac. The files are some of my artwork that I would like to have. I would like to do the transfer now while I still have this monitor as it can be hooked up to the 9500, while my iMac can't.

Would that CAT 5 cable help? I was told I can use it to hook the two computers together, but then what?

Can someone PLEASE help me? Don't want to lose the G5 sale. Thanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Razormac. The files are some of my artwork that I would like to have. I would like to do the transfer now while I still have this monitor as it can be hooked up to the 9500, while my iMac can't.

Would that CAT 5 cable help? I was told I can use it to hook the two computers together, but then what?

Can someone PLEASE help me? Don't want to lose the G5 sale. Thanks!

This is definitely not my area of expertise (old Macs) and given that you by your own admission are not technically savy, your best bet may be to take it and your new iMac (or older G5) to your local Apple store and let them do the transfer for you.
It appears that you should have an ethernet adapter on your old 9500, so I am betting the Apple Store geniuses can link the two with an ethernet cable and make the transfer.
If not, surely they can come up with something else.

EDIT: to answer your question on CAT 5 cable, CAT 5 is just cable, it has to be hooked to matching adapters (in this case probably Ethernet). But, why bother, just buy an ethernet cable if you don't already have one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Thanks!

Although your old 9500 & your G5 both have ethernet ports (so in theory all you would need to do is plug the "Cat 5" ethernet cable into both of them)...it's not that easy due to OS software compatibility issues. These two computers are about 6-7 years differences in age...and in that time a lot of new hardware technologies were introduced...and the Mac OS was changed/improved significantly.

What you need is a "missing link" computer. What I mean is...a computer that is newer than your 9500...but older than your G5...that has USB ports...and can "communicate" with your 9500.

What needs to be done is:

- the "missing link" computer & the 9500 are networked
- the files from the 9500 are transferred to the "missing link" computer"
- the now transferred files on the "missing link" computer are transferred to a USB drive
- then these files (from the 9500 & now on the USB thumb drive)...can be transferred to either your G5 or new iMac via their USB ports.

There are a couple other ways this could be done as well...but it requires the purchase of additional hardware...and a lot of explanation.

- Nick

p.s. Long story short...this is not an easy task/project for someone without access to the necessary hardware...AND has the necessary OS install disks needed if a "missing link" computer was found that might not have the correct OS version on it so it can communicate with the 9500 computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
nay idea what OS that old 9500 is running?

OP
S
Reaction score
OK, I'm getting somewhere. I need a CAT 6 crossover ethernet cable. After I connect the cable to both machines and have them both on, what happens next? Does the 9500's HD show up on the G5 desktop? Can someone give me directions after both cables are attached, and what to expect....PRETTY PLEASE :)! Thanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I'm getting somewhere. I need a CAT 6 crossover ethernet cable. After I connect the cable to both machines and have them both on, what happens next? Does the 9500's HD show up on the G5 desktop? Can someone give me directions after both cables are attached, and what to expect....PRETTY PLEASE :)! Thanks!

So you do have an internal HD?

Is that where the files are located? If so, may be able to pull the HD and stick it in an external case or use an interface adapter cable.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You don't necessarily NEED a CAT 6 or a CAT 5 ethernet cable (an older ethernet cable will work as well...but they will work (and it would need to be a "cross-over" cable due to the age of the 9500).

But the main problem is (as I stated above) the OS version on the 9500 may be too old...and thus not compatible with the OS version on the G5.

"Razormac's" idea is a good one. But finding the hardware may be difficult. You would need a SCSI external hard drive housing to install the 9500's HD into. The you would need a SCSI to firewire, or SCSI to USB adapter (which I'm not even sure exist).

This is why you would need some sort of "missing link" computer. One that is possibly compatible with the SCSI hard drive in your 9500...yet also has USB.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
if the 9500 is running system 8.6 or above then you should be able to connect the two and network them up with tcp-ip, but we still need to know the os on the 9500.

The 9500 used an internal SCSI hard disk so simply putting the HD in an enclosure is more tricky than networking the two computers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's something I found regarding networking Apple computers (pre-OS X) with OS X based Apple computers:

http://homepage.mac.com/car1son/os9x_net_n_filesharing.html

I haven't done this in a while...so I have some doubts how easy it will be (depends on how far apart the OS versions are on the 9500 and G5).

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Well I got the crossover cable but that only works when both computers are running OSX when trying to use the migration assistant. I'm surprised someone at Apple didn't pick that up when that was suggested. Thanks for the article right above. It seems to have the info I need but it's SOOO complicated. Will that mess up my current Verizon DSL settings?

One other question. Do both the 9500 and the g5 have to have monitors connected to them in order to do that? If so, the only other monitor I will have is the one on my new iMAC. Would that computer be too advanced to hook up to the 9500 via ethernet?

Thanks so much all for trying to help me. Much appreciated!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the article right above. It seems to have the info I need but it's SOOO complicated. Will that mess up my current Verizon DSL settings?

I don't think that it will...but even if it did...seems like getting these files off the 9500 would be worth it (you can always reset your DSL settings).

One other question. Do both the 9500 and the g5 have to have monitors connected to them in order to do that?

It sure helps!;)

If so, the only other monitor I will have is the one on my new iMAC. Would that computer be too advanced to hook up to the 9500 via ethernet?

Sure your iMac is "too advanced". If you cannot get a 6-8 year-old G5 hooked up to your 15 year-old 9500 (so far anyway)...there's very little chance you'll have more luck hooking up a 15 year-old 9500 to a newer iMac!:)

This is not an easy project! And even those of us that have been doing this sort of thing for a longgg time, could be scratching ours heads figuring out how to do it. I could do it...because I have all the old computers, cables, and software to do it...but for someone without these resources...it's a TOUGH project!!!

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I got the crossover cable but that only works when both computers are running OSX when trying to use the migration assistant. I'm surprised someone at Apple didn't pick that up when that was suggested. Thanks for the article right above. It seems to have the info I need but it's SOOO complicated. Will that mess up my current Verizon DSL settings?

One other question. Do both the 9500 and the g5 have to have monitors connected to them in order to do that? If so, the only other monitor I will have is the one on my new iMAC. Would that computer be too advanced to hook up to the 9500 via ethernet?

Thanks so much all for trying to help me. Much appreciated!!!

Can you access email with your old Mac?

If so, you may be able to email yourself the files and then download them on your new iMac.

Grasping at straws here, because I honestly don't think this project is doable by you (no offense intended).

If one of the methods previously suggested (including potential to email it) won't work, you are probably either going to have to get assistance (I still would try the Apple store), pay to have it done, or give up.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you access email with your old Mac?

If so, you may be able to email yourself the files and then download them on your new iMac.

Another GREAT idea Razormac!!!:)

There are some hurdles (compatibilities regarding an old OS, old internet browsers, and old e-mail programs)...but I do believe that there's a chance this can still be done. Just might need to be done in stages (max. file attachment sizes possibly). But if successful with one e-mail...then it certainly be done for all the files.:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
So nice of you guys to try and help!. Besides e-mailing, I also thought maybe I could upload the files to some free storage site, and then download them onto the iMAC or an external drive. Would be so slow though, but maybe doable. A site like:

https://www.free-hidrive.com/

When I go to that site it just asks me to open the drive and select the files from it for uploading. I could maybe access it from the old browser on there. The site seems to be software independent. Guess that's the easiest, but slowest way. They give you 5 GIGS free forever. The drive on the 9500 isn't even that big...LOL! Maybe someone else here can use it!

I will post the system the 9500 is running once I get the monitor onto it.

BTW: Can old browsers still access the net?

Thanks again for all your help and ideas!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW: Can old browsers still access the net?

Barely!;) Some sites will load & some won't. And the sites that do load will probably be slow to load...and all of the images may not show up...making navigating potentially difficult. This is what happens when you're working with a close to 15 year-old computer.;)

You just got to try...and see what happens.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.