Adding memory to iMac. Genius bar or me?

Reaction score
I want to put lion on my husband's 2007 iMac. It needs one more Gb of memory. Will the genius bar do this? If so will I have to leave it? If I do it myself, where do I find out what exactly to buy. I am not a big tech person but can do some things!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Upgrade memory in the iMac is a VERY simple task as long as you can wield a screw driver. The memory slots at the bottom of the iMac, essentially below the Apple icon. So tilt the iMac up or move it to the edge so you expose the bottom and remove the 2 screws holding a plastic plate which will expose the available memory slots.

Depending on your current configuration and what you've purchased, you can put the new memory into the empty slots, be sure to put it in the right direction and put enough pressure so that the memory chips "click" into the slots..then replace the plate and you should be good to go..

This Apple article has more details: iMac: How to remove or install memory

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.