Minor OS problems

Reaction score
Hello,

I just started having a few minor OS problems. My white macbook is a late 2009 purchase. Could someone please provide any solutions on how to fix these minor issues?

1) My mouse icon disappears once in a while. The mouse works, but I can't see mouse icon until it's over something and the icon it is over will "enhance" like normal, ready for you to click it.

2) My mac-mail number indicating the number of new emails I have (red balloon with white number, which equals the number of unread emails) is not appearing anymore.

3) My toggle between programs (programs only) is not fully functional (I can only toggle between a fraction of the programs that are currently running).

I did run a software update a couple of days ago in the hopes that #1 and #2 would be fixed, but #3 may have occurred after the software update, not sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I want to nip any problems early on in my mac's relatively short life. I love it and want to continue to take good care of it.

Thank you.

M

MacInWin

OSX version? WHat's running? What have you installed/changed lately? We need a bit more information to be able to assist you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
I'm going to assume your on Lion or Snow. If that is the case, try doing a repair permissions. If that doesn't help any, then try repairing your drive. Check with some other peeps on the forum before you follow my advice though, I'm not half as credible as them. Worst case scenario you do a clean install.

OP
N
Reaction score
Working on it, thank you.

My apologies for not giving sufficient information. I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.8, and I have performed all the most recent software updates. I did go to the utilities and started the "repair permissions." I'll see how those two things work out. If it doesn't work, then I will let you know and appreciatively and patiently await your response(s). Sometimes, only Mail and Google Chrome are running, sometimes Mail and iTunes...

Thank you.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you for the great idea of repairing disk permissions. It worked beautifully, and everything is functioning properly again.

Have a good day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Two first up trouble shooting ideas. Run repair Permissions and a reboot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
Yup. Oh, btw, does neutral feedback add do your rep? I've helped out some peeps and they gave me neutral.

OP
N
Reaction score
Yup. Oh, btw, does neutral feedback add do your rep? I've helped out some peeps and they gave me neutral.

I don't know? This is the first time I have ever used this forum, and I hope I gave you positive feedback because that is what I tried to do. Sorry if I did it wrong. If I can correct it I will, assuming I messed up and am the one who gave you neutral feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't mean to point you out, but... Yeah, you were. It's to late now, but it's of little matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Neutral feedback?

Thought we only had approval/disapproval. However have left approval to get you back to all square AppleCider.

OP
N
Reaction score
Exactly. I left approval rating for AppleCider. I logged in again a little while ago looking for something that could give more than approval rating, and I couldn't find anything. Since I already left approval rating, I logged out. Anyway. Have a great day all, and really, thank you again for the help. I know now to always try a repair disk permissions first.

Good night.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.