Lion problem deleting after migrating old user across from leopard system.

Reaction score
My sister has a new MacBook pro running lion. We migrated her old settings and applications from her old MacBook (running leopard) using migration assistant.

This created a new user on the MacBook pro with the name of the old MacBook user.
As she had not added any files to the first user on the new mbp, we thought to save clutterwe would just delete the first user and use the migrated user instead (both users said administrator so didn't think we'd hit issues...however...

When she now tries to delete any file that was migrated across it asks for her password. This annoying.

I saw a thread on this problem that suggested unticking "Allow user to administer this computer", restarting, then reticking "Allow this user to administer this computer". We are unable to do this as the checkbox is greyed out, even when the lock is unlocked. Is this because we now have just the one user?

The thread also suggested resetting permissions by booting into recovery which we tried but no difference.

Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to start over. Do you still have the old MacBook? If you do, make a backup of her entire hard drive using Time Machine.

Next, reboot the new MBP holding down the "R" key. That will boot the machine to the recovery partition. Make sure she's connected to the internet. Use Disk Utility to erase the disk and format it as Mac OS Journaled GUID scheme and reinstall Lion. Migrate her old settings using the Time Machine backup not the migration assistant.

It should work OK now.

OP
A
Reaction score
We managed to fix this via a call to applecare. I can't remember the whole process, we restarted holding alt, selected the startup disk (I think) then launched terminal and typed a command to change password (sorry, don't remember exactly but it had the word password and another word no spaces) which then opened a dialog box where we could change the password (which we didn't need to do) but we instead hit a reset button bottom left twice, closed all open boxes and restarted the startup disk and no longer have to enter password to delete files - happy days.

Sorry I didn't pay more attention but if this sounds familiar to any of the Mac savvy out there who might know what I mean and how to get there, perhaps they can help someone else who hits this problem with os x lion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They had you go into terminal and do the changes from there. I never advise folks to do that because it may wind up leaving you in worse condition than before. :( That's why I recommended a reinstall and new migration with Time Machine. That's actually a better way than what you attempted previously. But I'm glad everything turned out OK. Have fun.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.