Ambient Light Sensor and Auto Dim quit working

Reaction score
Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in VT
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011
Processor 2.7GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4GB 1333MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB
Software Mac x Lion 10.7.1 (11B26)

Ok, now to get to my question...

Bought this iMac this year and the auto dim feature along with the ambient sensor worked fine. Haven't made any OS changes nor other software additions that effect graphics.

Recently I noticed that my screen was not dimming. The appropriate options are checked and I have no clue what is malfunctioning.

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the SMC. Shut your iMac down, unplug it from the AC mains, let it rest for several minutes. Plug it in again and start it up. Let's see if that cures it. If not post back and we can try a PRAM reset.

OP
Brooklynguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
chscag - I just shut down the iMac and unplugged it, had some dinner, and replugged and powered it up again. Made sure the dim option was checked,made sure the brightness was halfway, and turned out the lamp.

No go, nil, zip. Does this function use the built in camera for checking the ambience around the computer? I also tried, with the lamp on, covering up the camera with my hand and again, no dice.

Is the PRAM reset as drastic as I keep feeling it is? I know how to do it, but have this hesitation.

Right now, I am looking at the internet to figure how to check the iMac's battery.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does this function use the built in camera for checking the ambience around the computer? I also tried, with the lamp on, covering up the camera with my hand and again, no dice.

Yes, it uses the camera for checking the lighting around the machine.

Go ahead and reset the PRAM. It's easy enough to do and won't harm the machine. If that doesn't work, it's time to make an appointment with your local Apple store genius. I know it's not easy to lug that machine to the Apple store but it's under warranty. Let them deal with it.

OP
Brooklynguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fixed my auto-dim problem

Try resetting the SMC. Shut your iMac down, unplug it from the AC mains, let it rest for several minutes. Plug it in again and start it up. Let's see if that cures it. If not post back and we can try a PRAM reset.

No code has to be inserted here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, great. Thanks for posting back. Have fun and visit often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.