Connecting to a PC server from an iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac 3.1 i5 2011, 15" Macbook Pro 2.0 i7 SSD 2011, iPhone 3GS 2010
I've recently installed a new iMac at my office, which before only had PCs - all connected to a PC server. I am connected to the server through an ethernet cable and know that the connection is fine since I am able to connect to the internet and printer without any problems whatsoever.

The trouble arises when I want to access shared documents on the PC server (titled "alfserver", which you can see in the pictures below). Sometimes the icon shows up in Finder (see pictures 1 & 2), but sometimes it simply doesn't show up at all (picture 3). No reason. The cable is plugged in (internet & printer works fine), but I can't find the server anywhere. I've tried placing a shortcut to it on my desktop to see if that helps, but that too only shows up on my desktop when the server shows up in my Finder window - ie. it's of no help.

Anybody have any ideas as to what is happening and why I can't always connect to it? It's highly frustrating when I'm working and need to access documents and it simply doesn't show up anywhere!

My details in case anyone needs them:
3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
8GB RAM 1333 MHz DDR3

Screendumps.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
From the Go menu in the Finder use Connect to Server.

In the next window type:

smb://alfserver.ip.address

eg if alfserver's ip is 192.168.1.10 smb://192.168.1.10

Enter

The next window will show you a list of the shares on Alfserver

You can also get to connect to server with cmd+k

OP
musemonster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac 3.1 i5 2011, 15" Macbook Pro 2.0 i7 SSD 2011, iPhone 3GS 2010
Even though it doesn't make the servers appear in Finder, this still manages to connect to alfserver somehow! Thanks so much :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.