Correct RAM for Macbook 5,2 (Early '09)

Reaction score
Hi all,

According to this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2751054?start=0&tstart=0
my MacBook will utilise 8GB of RAM.

Can anyone explain the possible downsides of trying this? ie; overheating, battery life reduced.

If it's not a foolhardy thing to do, can someone tell me if the following are the right types?

Either 2 of these:

Crucial 4096MB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 200-pin SO-DIMM CL5 Unbuffered Non ECC Memory Module - CT51264AC667 - CCL Computers

Or this 2 module kit:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002XRQEF8/

I will be running OS X Lion and Windows 7 64bit via bootcamp. I'm also installing a 750GB 7200rpm Hard Drive. Any negative implications in combination with this change?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
A
Reaction score
My MacBook has the same model indentifier (5,2) as the person in the thread who states he's utilising 8GB Ram in his.

Even if the Mac os can only see 6GB, I've been told the window side will see the full 8GBs.

I'm willing to give it a go!

Can anyone tell me if the Ram modules I linked to are the right ones in terms of fitting into the ram slots of a 5,2 MacBook?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can anyone tell me if the Ram modules I linked to are the right ones in terms of fitting into the ram slots of a 5,2 MacBook?

Need to know the exact cpu speed of your MacBook. There were two different models...and each used different ram.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a 2Ghz core 2 duo

Thanks for the info. Yes...the PC-5300 ram is what you need.Did you use Crucial's "ram ID tool"?...just to be sure you got the exact ram for your MacBook.

I personally prefer these guys:

OWC

...but Crucial is fine as well). And yes...even if you're in the UK you can order from them.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I came across owc when searching Google for Mac ram.
Is tempting as they will definately be compatible and the price is OK, even with international shipping but I don't want to be stung with import duties and other taxes, plus want it quick as want to get cracking with installing new hard drive, os x lion and windows 7 via bootcamp, then getting all applications reloaded etc.

I'm gonna break the mould and try the g.skill ram modules (2x4GB).

I'll share my findings on here once I install (good or bad!).

Wish me luck, hope I don't get egg on my face.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm gonna break the mould and try the g.skill ram modules (2x4GB).

Since your MacBook maxes out at 6gig...it will be interesting to see if 2x4GB will work.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well andyroo that tax issue depends where you are as your avatar does not provide that information. OWC deliver here to rural Australia within seven days ~ far better than local suppliers!

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm in the UK now. Lived in Australia for 3 years in Toowoomba, ordered lots of camera gear from the states then as it was cheaper to order from bhphotovideo and have the item shipped halfway round the world than to go to a camera shop in Brisbane and buy! Australia has a trade agreement with the USA - no import tax unless over $au1000. No such luck in UK. Don't want to save £20 only to be stung £60 in fees & taxes!

OP
A
Reaction score
Okay, so my new ram modules arrived today and I just installed them which was a bit tricky at first and although the slot is in the same place, they have a slightly different component layout on the circuit board so I was beginning to worry I had bought the wrong style, however a bit more force and they click into place.

About this Mac now says; Memory 8GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

I've literally just installed them and so far so good. If it blows up in the near future ill be sure to let you know!

For those interested I have the 13" MacBook version 5,2, 2GHz core 2 duo processor currently running leopard (not snow leopard). I will be swapping out the hard drive for a 750GB 7200rpm western digital Scorpio black and installing lion hopefully tomorrow if the USB Dongle arrives so I'll let you know how that goes too if anyone interested!?

OP
A
Reaction score
Oh, and for those interested, I bought the g.skill ram modules I linked to in the first post.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the update.

Just to verify things...launch "Activity Monitor":

- Applications Folder > Utilities Folder
- Launch "Activity Monitor"
- Near the bottom of the Activity Monitor window click on the "System Memory" tab (if not already selected)
- At the bottom of the "pie chart" how much ram does it say?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the screen shots!:)

This is REALLY new information. Most sources say that the "Early 2009" MacBook (model 5,2) with the 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo cpu:

- "officially" from Apple that this MacBook has a max. of 4 gig of ram
- "3rd party" sources verify that it can be upgraded to 6gig (4gig + 2gig sticks of ram)
- but you seem to have been able to get 8 gig :)

So GREAT for you!!!:) Thanks for confirming this!:):)

- Nick

p.s. And you're only running OS 10.5.8...so it has nothing to do with Lion (OS 10.7.2).

OP
A
Reaction score
So far I'm glad I took the gamble, just wish they weren't so expensive (over 3× what my sister just paid for 8GB ram for her brand new MacBook pro!) .

Hope they still work with lion!

OP
A
Reaction score
Just a quick update should anyone be following this thread.
OS X Lion and Windows 7 via bootcamp with 750GB scorpio black 7200rpm hard drive and 8 GB Ram (2x4GB g.skill) all working fine, both os x lion and the windows side recognise the ram and it is noticably quicker at tasks for instance put together a 8 photo panorama using photoshop cs5 (each photo 18 megapixels) with no issues. Took about 5 minutes, used to take about 25 or just hang and no response.

v.happy!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...it is noticably quicker at tasks for instance put together a 8 photo panorama using photoshop cs5 (each photo 18 megapixels) with no issues. Took about 5 minutes, used to take about 25 or just hang and no response.

Thanks a lot for the update! This is definitely a situation where a ram upgrade was necessary. Photoshop definitely likes lots of ram (and always has since the earliest versions)...and wow a 5x decrease in processing time has got to feel great!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.