New iPhone User

Reaction score
Hi All

Probably a pretty basic question. When I am not on wifi and I am alerted of a new email arriving is any data usage involved in that....or only if I actually open the message? Even if its a small amount I'd like to know just so I can manage my data appropriately.

THanks....and loving the iPhone:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
Hi All

Probably a pretty basic question. When I am not on wifi and I am alerted of a new email arriving is any data usage involved in that....or only if I actually open the message? Even if its a small amount I'd like to know just so I can manage my data appropriately.

THanks....and loving the iPhone:)

I was thinking this as well as it happens on my Ipad for which I pay for data usage.

I would imagine you are charged for data usage but it will be so minimal I wouldnt worry about it.

I pay 5p a meg on my Ipad for any data usage outside Wi Fi. Most months its something like 50p extra on my bill.

You may be able to turn it off but if you have a contract then it would just make a very minor increment to your inclusive data usage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
If you're worried about your data plan, download a data monitor. I use one called 'Data Usage' which is free from the app store. I find it's accurate enough, and will alert you when you're nearing your allowance. It also predicts how much you will you use based on current usage, which you may find useful.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the help

I am not really concerned about data usage per say. Just curious about the process. For example sake, when I go outside my country. Do I need to worry about high charges simply because of my notification centre.....or only if I check the email's themselves? I realize I have options when I travel, but I am really just curious about the process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.