Apple powermac g4 shut down problem

Reaction score
I have a problem with my powermac g4. Every time i switch it on after few minutes it restarts. also when it is conectect to the power socket the power supply makes a weird ticking noise. I had changed the battery as i heard that this maybe the case but it still keeps restarting. if anyone knows what causes the computer to restart please let me know

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That ticking sound. This is with it plugged in but not powered on? If so it sounds (This is just a guess) like the power supply is turning off and on due to issues.

What exact model PowerMac G4 is this? Specs please as they all have different supplies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sure is a hardware problem and agree about the PS. Maybe it is time tot start thinking of updating.

Reaction score
Sounds like it's overheating on the power supply. The ticking sound is usually down to the PSU. However, check that all your fans are working as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.