VelociRaptor compatible with iMac 2.16 Core 2 Duo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Yes it is a 3.5" drive so it would fit in the iMac. A word of caution - iMacs are not the easiest machine to replace a hard drive in, so have a Google first on how to do this. Suggest putting the VR in an external case, clone the current hard drive using SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner, when it is bootable, then pop it in the iMac.

http://jasontomczak.com/2007/11/23/4/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
Before you try that, make sure your mom's iMac has Sata III. It is otherwise a waste to put a 6gb Sata III drive in a Sata II computer as it won't use the bandwidth. It will just work at the slower speed, or maybe not at all.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I want to get this 600 GB VelociRaptor for my mom's iMac that has a 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo CPU. Will it be compatible? I bought a VelociRaptor for my Macbook Pro, and it would not install. Can someone help me out? Thank you.

Newegg.com - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Yes it is a 3.5" drive so it would fit in the iMac. A word of caution - iMacs are not the easiest machine to replace a hard drive in, so have a Google first on how to do this. Suggest putting the VR in an external case, clone the current hard drive using SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner, when it is bootable, then pop it in the iMac.

Replacing a Hard Drive in an Intel iMac | Jason Tomczak

If I remember correctly these kind of drives have their own heat sink, and it is huge. That was a long time ago, so maybe that has changed.

You can try it and tell us how it goes. :D Here is a link to a youtube video that is using a older version of the HDD on a pretty old iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good point Crimson. In fact the 2.16Ghz iMac is only SATA with a transfer speed of 1.5GB/s so the Velociraptor may have to be throttled back to that speed, if this is possible. The drive is in fact 2.5" in a heat sink case similar to an Icy Dock which then fits the 3.5" connectors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.