Un-Install 10.2.8

C

chrisg

How does one uninstall the 10.2.8 upgrade?

I recently bought a G5. Actually the first one they sent was a lemon with a bad motherboard and I had to ship it back for a replacement. They shipped me a new one and it was working great for the first week. It shipped with OS X 10.2.4.

Then I made a big mistake.

That annoying auto-update installer popped up when I started up the machine. It had come up before trying to prompt me to upgrade the OS and smartly I had declined, but it appeared at just the right time (or wrong time depending on how you look at it) and I decided to try the function. That was a huge mistake.

I downloaded and installed OS X 10.2.8. My machine has now completely freaked. First I've started having a problem with the pull down menus in the finder: they pull down but are empty, no text just blank menus. Apps are crashing on me left and right, it screwed up the color profile for my color printer that is now printing everything in shades of purple. It is the worst. I HAVE TO GET THIS UNINSTALLED OFF OF MY MACHINE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i dont believe there is any way to removed just one update of the OS......you should get panther since you have a G5 and get it for the price of shipping. If you arent getting panther the only thing i can think of is to do a clean install of 10.2.4 which came with your system. all you need to do is put in the first install cd and follow the directions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Are you sure you got a G5? I know for a fact that the G5's did not ship with 10.2.4. Every G5 shipped with at least 10.2.7.

OP
C

chrisg

Yeah pal. It's a G5. It would be difficult to mistake. Wouldn't it make more sense to assume I mispoke on the 10.2.4 half rather than the G5 half? It came with 10.2.x. I read a thread on another forum before I posted here to this one discussing problems with upgrading from 10.2.4 to 10.2.8. I assumed my problem may be related. I wrote 10.2.4. I should have wrote 10.2.x. What an ass.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
chrisg said:
Yeah pal. It's a G5. It would be difficult to mistake. Wouldn't it make more sense to assume I mispoke on the 10.2.4 half rather than the G5 half? It came with 10.2.x. I read a thread on another forum before I posted here to this one discussing problems with upgrading from 10.2.4 to 10.2.8. I assumed my problem may be related. I wrote 10.2.4. I should have wrote 10.2.x. What an ass.

Chrisg, don't get your panty in a bunch. Schweb was just asking a question. Normally you ask questions on what the person has stated. I would of asked the same thing. The only difference, is I would have said up front that 10.2.7 is the only OS that the ships with the G5, beside Panther.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
As for orignial question. You cannot un-install any of the Apple OSs. All you can do is do a fresh install (i.e. wipe the disk clean and install OS).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.