Read only file system error with external HDD

Reaction score
I want to copy some files from my MacBook to an external HDD to take away and run on an assortment of Windows and Apple machines. I have connected a Lacie external HDD to my MacBook that I have used on several Windows machines for back-up of important files. When I try to drag and drop a file into the Lacie icon I get a 'no entry' type symbol and when attempting to 'save as' to the Lacie HDD from the open file I get an error about 'read only file system'.

Please can anyone advise how I am able to save the files to the Lacie from the Mac?

Many thanks

Clare

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't write to the drive because it's probably formatted as NTFS. NTFS is read only from a Mac. You need a third party driver in order to write to the drive. The best one to use is "Paragon NTFS" from Paragon Software $19.95.

Here is the link for the download and purchase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.