My iPhone 3Gs cannot detect my simcard after installing iOS 5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Macbook Pro, Apple TV, iPhone 4, iPad 2
After updating my iTunes to iTunes 10, I downloaded the iOS 5 software and installed it on my iPhone 3Gs. After restarting, my iPhone 3Gs no longer had a signal so my iPhone could not be activated. It said "No Service" where the signal bar's supposed to be and my iTunes said my iPhone had "no simcard" even if there was. I tried using my simcard on another phone and it had a signal. Then I tried using another working simcard on my iPhone 3Gs and it didn't have a signal. So I conclude that the problem is in my iPhone 3Gs, not in the simcard, and it happened sometime during the installation of iOS 5.

I heard the same thing happened to another iPhone 3Gs. Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Was the phone jailbroken & unlocked before you updated it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
I had that when upgrading my Ipad 1 to 4.3.5.

Asked in store and they said it can sometimes happen but to take the sim card out, blow on it and replace it.

I did this and its working absolutely fine but at the worst your Service Provider should be able to replace the sim card.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was the phone jailbroken & unlocked before you updated it?
At first I thought it wasn't but now that I come to think of it, it could have been jailbroken. Does it make a difference if it was?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had that when upgrading my Ipad 1 to 4.3.5.

Asked in store and they said it can sometimes happen but to take the sim card out, blow on it and replace it.

I did this and its working absolutely fine but at the worst your Service Provider should be able to replace the sim card.

Actually I tried using my simcard on another phone and it worked, and I tried using another working simcard on my iPhone 3Gs and it didn't work, so something must have happened to the phone during the installation of iOS 5.

I also tried reinstalling iOS 5 twice. Same result.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Did you do the iOS5 download within iTunes or did you get it from somewhere else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
At first I thought it wasn't but now that I come to think of it, it could have been jailbroken. Does it make a difference if it was?

If it was jailbroken & software unlocked, then you lost the unlock when you updated back to the factory Apple firmware.

Are you in the US? Using a carrier other than AT&T?

Reaction score
Me too

Same thing has happened to me.

I updated to the iOS5, then I hooked up my NON-jailbroken 3GS. After "updating" everything this message appears:

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

I took my phone to my carrier, AT&T, and they cleaned the SIM card, didnt work. They replaced the SIM card, it didn't work. Tried to restore my phone, didn't work.

Any advice?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the exact same thing that happened to my 3Gs.

Same thing has happened to me.

I updated to the iOS5, then I hooked up my NON-jailbroken 3GS. After "updating" everything this message appears:

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

I took my phone to my carrier, AT&T, and they cleaned the SIM card, didnt work. They replaced the SIM card, it didn't work. Tried to restore my phone, didn't work.

Any advice?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.