VBox bridge to lo0

Reaction score
Hi to all,
I have installed Virtualbox to have a virtual networks of different OSs on my Mac. I want to instal a network for those Virtual Machines. As far as I'm concerned, in Windows I need to change my network card preferences to Bridge and choose Loopback adapter. I Mac I couldn't find the lo0 adapter to use it to bridge. when I issue ifconfig, it says that lo0 is running. The question is how can I have access and bridge to my virtual interface.
I hope I could explained it clearly.
tnx

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi to all,
I have installed Virtualbox to have a virtual networks of different OSs on my Mac. I want to instal a network for those Virtual Machines. As far as I'm concerned, in Windows I need to change my network card preferences to Bridge and choose Loopback adapter. I Mac I couldn't find the lo0 adapter to use it to bridge. when I issue ifconfig, it says that lo0 is running. The question is how can I have access and bridge to my virtual interface.
I hope I could explained it clearly.
tnx

Doesn't VirtualBox offer the option of using NAT? If it does, you shouldn't have to do anything special in order to see each VM on the same network just as you would with physical machines connected to the same router.

OP
R
Reaction score
Doesn't VirtualBox offer the option of using NAT? If it does, you shouldn't have to do anything special in order to see each VM on the same network just as you would with physical machines connected to the same router.

Thanks for your reply,
Actually it does, but what I want is a separate network from the host machine. When I change to NAT all virtual machines get the same IP address like 10.0.2.15. I want to install a domain network so it won't help me. :(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply,
Actually it does, but what I want is a separate network from the host machine. When I change to NAT all virtual machines get the same IP address like 10.0.2.15. I want to install a domain network so it won't help me. :(

On a NAT network, each machine should get a distinct IP in the same subnet. So, for example 10.0.2.15, 10.0.2.16, 10.0.2.17 and so on....

When I was studying for my MCSE, this is exactly how I built my "network", although I used VMWare at the time (this was back in '03).

Coincidentally, this is pretty much how real, enterprise-scale networks are built. The organization will have one or more public IPs, but internal clients and servers will use NAT on a private network.

OP
R
Reaction score
On a NAT network, each machine should get a distinct IP in the same subnet. So, for example 10.0.2.15, 10.0.2.16, 10.0.2.17 and so on....

When I was studying for my MCSE, this is exactly how I built my "network", although I used VMWare at the time (this was back in '03).

Coincidentally, this is pretty much how real, enterprise-scale networks are built. The organization will have one or more public IPs, but internal clients and servers will use NAT on a private network.

I tried the VMWare and there is exactly what you said. NAT is enabled and every machine has his own ip address. Now everything is okay? I mean now I can make my own domain and apply different scenarios?
I've studied Netwokr+, xp, server 2003, infraI, and infraII. but all have got rusty. I want to start again. could you tell me what's better to do?
Respect!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried the VMWare and there is exactly what you said. NAT is enabled and every machine has his own ip address. Now everything is okay? I mean now I can make my own domain and apply different scenarios?
I've studied Netwokr+, xp, server 2003, infraI, and infraII. but all have got rusty. I want to start again. could you tell me what's better to do?
Respect!

Yes, that should work for what you're trying to do.

Network+ is a great vendor-neutral, entry-level cert that ought to be fairly easy to get before you move into the MS or Cisco stuff (depending on your career goals).

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes, that should work for what you're trying to do.

Network+ is a great vendor-neutral, entry-level cert that ought to be fairly easy to get before you move into the MS or Cisco stuff (depending on your career goals).

I appreciate your taking the time to respond. That was so nice of you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, one other thing came to mind on the certs - I think MS allowed me to use my Network+ as a credit toward my MCSA. Not sure if they still do that, but it got me out of having to take one particular test (it might have been in tandem with the A+, its been awhile and I don't quite remember how it worked). So, there's another pro toward going with the N+.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.