I don't mean to diss the iPad 2 but ......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
What does it do better than a netbook?
I bought an iPad 2 in white, 32GB with Wi-Fi but no 3G. With all the add-on bits that I have bought for it, the total cost is about £500. I have no problems with it and it does whatever I ask it to just as long as the proper App is installed.
But I ALSO have an Advent netbook. I can't remember the actual model number but just imagine a small, black laptop. It has been upgraded to 2 GB of RAM and has a 160 GB hard drive. With all the extra bits that I have bought for it the total cost of this netbook is about £230.
The thing is, I'm having difficulty deciding why the iPad was the MUST HAVE item at the start of the year. What does it do that makes it so superior to the netbook? In fact, with a proper keyboard and the ability to do all that the iPad does (mostly) was buying the iPad a complete waste of time and money?
So, could somebody please tell me the advantages of owning an iPad?
Cheers,
Steve

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What does OSX do that Windows does not? What does your Mini do that a Dell PC does not?

I can make a long list but.....

If you want Windows and all the trouble maintaining it, then sell off the iPad 2 and keep your netbook.

An iPad was never billed as a Laptop replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Seems to me like someone is regretting their iPad 2 purchase, and is trying to justify not selling it. ;)

Reaction score
For me: portability and instant on are #1. I mean the kind of portability where I can have the device with me anywhere in the house, yard, car, street. Can't do that with a notebook.

Immediate access to web, mail, and my collection of reference material like vehicle and house PDF manuals, etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What does it do better than a netbook?

If this is an important question to you...probably would have been a good idea to have asked it BEFORE purchasing an iPad.;)

The thing is, I'm having difficulty deciding why the iPad was the MUST HAVE item at the start of the year. What does it do that makes it so superior to the netbook?

Let's put things in perspective. An iPad is NOT a MUST HAVE item. A computer, a cell phone, a big screen TV, an automobile, etc. are also not MUST HAVE items. Sure they make our life easier...but they're not must have items like food, water, clothing, and shelter.

As far as the iPad...it's a "gizmo", a gadget, a "neat" item...you CAN live without it. An iPad is NOT a computer/laptop replacement. A netbook is basically a light minimalist notebook...so an iPad is not a netbook or a laptop replacement...it's just a cool item to have if you got the extra $$$ laying around!:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Actually for me it's a very powerful tool. Great portability with to me a screen better than any small netbook I have owned and very powerful.

Like I said before, it's not a computer but it does everything most average and some above average people need on the road or away from home. If I wanted a smallish complete computer I would get a Macbook Air so I could have OSX instead of Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
I think a lot of the issue comes from buying a Wi Fi only model.

A friend also has a Wi Fi only model and he has told me he doesnt like it because he cant use it when he is out due to not being able to connect to Wi Fi unless he pays for a subscription service.

I think Wifi is free/more easily available (correct me if I am wrong) in the US which is why the Wifi only model is more suited to US users as in the UK we have to pay a subscription to use it Wifi and then can only use it at certain locations.

A netbook may be better for you as you can just buy a wifi dongle and then use it wherever you wish.

The iPad is a great device but shouldnt be confused with a computer.

If you are unsure about keeping the Ipad sell it and put it down to experience as I have done this before with things and agnosised over selling them.

During the time I was deciding whether to or not the price I would get has dropped and then when I have finally sold it I havent got as much money as I could have done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I find my iPad to be great for portability and battery life and if I need something with
the ability to do a lot more then the Laptop comes into play not a netbook. Some find the Air to be better suited for their needs or wants but then thats the beauty of choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
It's a content consumption device for most people.

As for what it does better than your netbook? Hows the screen size, weight, and (most importantly) battery life? Then add in instant on/off, available software that all "just works" (vs the netbook where you probably have limited RAM and processor speed for all of the software that you theoretically could run), etc...

The iPad isn't a notebook/computer replacement, but with the addition of a bluetooth keyboard (which I do use if I have to do some major typing on mine) it gets one heck of a lot more use than my notebook did. I have a desktop machine (two in fact) for the heavy lifting. If I want to just peruse the 'net or watch a movie on Netflix, I usually grab my iPad. Even sold the notebook I owned. Just didn't use the thing anymore.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi again.
I think I may have been misunderstood. There is no way on God's green Earth that I'm selling the iPad 2. Nor do I regret for an instant buying it.
Demapples made 2 good points re portability and "Instant" ON. Valid points but I can't actually see where my netbook isn't as good. I can set it to start and have Windows working plus a connection to the internet within 5 seconds and with the netbook in a case over my shoulder, portability isn't really an issue.
OSXX mentioned battery life and that is one area where the iPad wins hands down. There's no denying that. My netbook lasts about 3.5 hours with a hi-power battery and that is usually enough for me. If I'm out and about taking pictures I just need to plug it into the ciggie lighter to charge the battery between shoots.
Dtravis7 mentions all the hassle that folk have with Windows and I'm guessing that he means stuff like viruses, malware etc but is it really that bad?
My netbook runs Windows XP Pro and I have a security/maintenance programme that I fixed up for myself a few years ago. Here's what it does.
It disconnects itself from the internet and then re-connects to get a clean start. It then goes to the Avast web site and downloads the latest Anti Virus definitions and then runs a full scan. When that has finished, the prog does a defrag. I do that once a week just as I finish using the Netbook 'cos the programme shuts the lappy down when it's finished.
So if doing a double click is "hassle" .... so be it.
Cheers,
Steve

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The thing is, I'm having difficulty deciding why the iPad was the MUST HAVE item at the start of the year. What does it do that makes it so superior to the netbook? In fact, with a proper keyboard and the ability to do all that the iPad does (mostly) was buying the iPad a complete waste of time and money.

I think I may have been misunderstood. There is no way on God's green Earth that I'm selling the iPad 2. Nor do I regret for an instant buying it.

I'm sorry "5tevie"...but if this is not a statement that sounds like "buyer's regret"...it's very very close to one!;)

- Nick

p.s. Great to hear that you would never sell your iPad!:) But it sure does sound like you have your doubts about purchasing it in the first place.

Reaction score
i bought my kids a $227 notebook. bought my wife a inch gateway and bought myself a ipad2 white 64gb. i haven't been able to use "their" ipad since may. and now my wife loves ios so much now she has the iphone 4s (convert from andriod). I bought it not as anything other than for flying.. i am a rather large man 6'1" 270lbs and i would never be able to watch a movie on a plane if it weren't for the ipad. I'm so fat the stupid tray table in front of me wont allow for a laptop to open fully. anyways enough about my big fat gut. since the purchase of the ipad my kids do homework on it. because everything in there classes is online they just do there homework in there email then when they get to school they have it right there. it is such and awsome tool. wish i had one. (thieving wife and kids)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
i bought my kids a $227 notebook. bought my wife a inch gateway and bought myself a ipad2 white 64gb. i haven't been able to use "their" ipad since may. and now my wife loves ios so much now she has the iphone 4s (convert from andriod). I bought it not as anything other than for flying.. i am a rather large man 6'1" 270lbs and i would never be able to watch a movie on a plane if it weren't for the ipad. I'm so fat the stupid tray table in front of me wont allow for a laptop to open fully. anyways enough about my big fat gut. since the purchase of the ipad my kids do homework on it. because everything in there classes is online they just do there homework in there email then when they get to school they have it right there. it is such and awsome tool. wish i had one. (thieving wife and kids)

Steal it while they are sleeping. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Sounds like another purchase in your future happens to us all eventually.

Reaction score
For me I love it .. Always on.. Massive bonus... Easily managble music ... (Yes windows does this as well) portability.. Much better than me carrying a laptop.. Battery lasts me ages.. I do a lot of travelling and the fact I can pull straight out of my bag press videos watch a movie on a big screen them read a book... Just makes life easier than carrying a laptop around... (for me)

C

chas_m

More carryable than a netbook ... battery lasts all day even with heavy use ... oh and let me know when a netbook lets me pinch to zoom photos and TEXT that often appears to small to be comfortable to read ...

Netbooks are dying off so quickly that some in the industry are predicting there won't BE any new netbooks being produced in as a little as two-three years ... everyone will have tablets of various sorts (mostly iPad of course). Why?

Because netbooks are crappy notebooks for people with midget hands and midget budgets. For around the same money, you can get an iPad, which is just an outstandingly well-designed bit of kit with a gorgeous, efficient, ingenious OS and an App Store to match. There's no netbook on earth that even remotely stacks up to that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.