iPhoto Wont Open!!

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the right place so please move if so!

Anyways, just performed a few software updates including the security one etc.

Now, when i try to use iPhoto, i click on the icon, it bounces, brings up the taskbar at the top but nothing else!

I have deleted the iPhoto Cache & plist files, done a permissions repair, restarted but still no joy.

Also, when i try to use iMovie, that just crashes and quits!!!

Any help much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Try opening iPhoto while holding down the cmd+alt buttons, a window should open giving you a few options to repair the database, try the top option first, if that doesn't work try the bottom option.

Hope this helps

- Simon

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Simon,

Thanks for that.

However, i cant even get that to work, the same thing happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Sorry for the delay in the reply, haven't been able to access the internet properly for a little while...
Try moving your iphoto library to a different location (desktop as an example), to do this go to Home (Your Username in the finder window) > Pictures and move the file called iPhoto Library.
Re-open iphoto to see if that solves the problem and iPhoto opens correctly. If it does, close iPhoto move your library back and reopen iPhoto again using the same procedure I mentioned above, if it does not work then maybe a re-installation of iLife is needed :s

HTH,

- Simon

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Simon,

I have have done all you suggested but still nothing.

I have even removed the photo library to the desktop, deleted iPhoto, and reinstalled from the App DVD that came with my MBP.

The only thing i can think now is that it is a compatibility issue in OSX somewhere.

The only became an issue after doing the latest updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
We've got similar problems here with a Mac Mini 2.6/2x1G/160 10.6.8

Pages- Missing cursor and unable to view text while typing but doc info and inspector says it's all there.Text appears briefly if you go 'full screen' and then disappears.

iPhoto-Can view thumbnails but can't enlarge photo to edit, screen goes black.

iTunes-Can't view album artwork in overflow.

Tried everything apart fro re-installing..it all seems connected in some way. I've been deleting plists and re-booting to no avail and am beginning to think a complete clean slate is required regarding backing up data and reinstalling OSX and starting from scratch.

What do you think because that would maybe be a PITB?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.