ibook battery life.

N

NOKI

Hey all, I just got my ibook a few months ago and was wondering how many hours the battery is supposed to hold when fully charged. Right now if I let the battery drain untill the mac shuts down and then charge untill green, I have 3:15 of battery time running on "better battery life" performance. Is this normal?

Thanks all,
Noki.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i get about 4 hours. that is with the screen turned down just before it is off, and only one safari and nothing else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
I guess i am lucky! I get 4 hours 15 minutes with the screen at half brightness while i surf the web.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
i definitely get better battery life when i dim the screen.

i'd expect around 4 hours with only select apps. open and the screen dimmed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.2GHz 256 RAM+512 Added=768 MB RAM 60 GB Hard Disk
Re: iBook battery life.

The iBooks have a special lithium ion battery. It will last about 4 hours. If you don't discharge the battery naturally (eg: Plugged in all the time) your battery will form crystals that won't hold charge. If that happens, you have to completely discharge the battery. Here is the problem. There used to be programs that override sleep for the computer. But now you really can't find them.

OP
L

lil

Batteries will degrade over time, it's a consumable by nature and will eventually need replacing. All that chemistry inside won't last forever.

Best thing with batteries is to just use them, instead of fret over how long they last and 'preserving' them. Otherwise you will never really enjoy the portability factor of your laptop if you worry about how much you're using the battery.

Not saying you're doing the latter of course, merely stating that some people do, namely because they don't realise what a battery really is and its very consumable nature.

Vicky

OP
Y

yuwing

are you using airport while doing ur work?

In class, i usually have my screen turned down to lowest (not black screen lol), and airport turned off. i usually get a total of aorund 5 hours at most.

also, this is only using microsoft office + recording lecture through built-in mic

With wireless, it tends to be around 4 hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
ibook battery s'posed to last long like about according to Apple or summat...
its like im doing my hw 8am to 4.30pm with occasional slping in between and by the end of the day a full charge is down to 10% and less. and i didnt do anything but type. i dont even have an internet connection. and i got this thing like 3 wks back. this sucks cos my friends vaios go like the whole day and still get at least 30 - 40 % and we can watch dvds on the way back. is it because i use 12 inch or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
I'll tell you... I get around 4 hrs surfing, 1/2 brt, using APX. I've outlasted anyone's pc so far.

Edit: Apologies, this is my first incoherent post.

OP
Y

yuwing

nicklwj said:
ibook battery s'posed to last long like about according to Apple or summat...
its like im doing my hw 8am to 4.30pm with occasional slping in between and by the end of the day a full charge is down to 10% and less. and i didnt do anything but type. i dont even have an internet connection. and i got this thing like 3 wks back. this sucks cos my friends vaios go like the whole day and still get at least 30 - 40 % and we can watch dvds on the way back. is it because i use 12 inch or something?

the screen takes a good chunk of your battery life. i only max out my screen when i'm on plug haha. other than that, i lower to dimmest. but i like it, i can still see in many areas. not extremely bright areas but still adequate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.