Any idea how to delete pictures from your photo stream?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
Hello all...

After a day or two of getting use to new software finally I have my iPhone iPad and computer working flawlessly with one another however I can't find a way to delete the pics being stored on my photo stream both iPhone and now iPad..sure I could shut it off and this maybe a dumb question but do they just erase over a certain period of time?

tia!

Reaction score
You cannot delete individual photos, they will self delete in 30 days. You can reset the photo stream and delete all the photos in it. You have to go into your iCloud account, click on the icon by your name in the upper right corner, then click ADVANCED. Here you can reset the photo stream. This deletes them from the cloud only.

On the iPhone, go into settings, iCloud, photo stream. Turn it off, then turn it back on.

On the Mac, go to system preferences, iCloud, photo stream and uncheck the box, then check it again. (I think that is how I did it on the Mac) This erases the photo stream in iPhoto.

All photo stream photos should be gone.

I found out when I took an unflattering picture of my wife just to show her how photo stream works. She wasn't going to leave until I was able to get rid of it everywhere.

OP
a.j.c.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
C

chas_m

Yes, after playing with Photostream (which is just amazing to me), I opted to tell iPhoto on my desktop NOT to auto-upload to Photostream, I prefer to post-process the pictures a bit first on that machine.

Tonight I connected my iPhone to bring some pictures I had taken earlier in the day over to my desktop, and it told me they were already imported! ??? I thought to myself, but then I remembered and sure enough -- there were already there in a new event! SLICK!!!

I will never have to connect my iPhone to my computer again just to get pictures! Boy I like that a lot.

PS. This is not the "photostream folder" I'm talking about -- this is my event library.

Reaction score
Yes, I forgot about the preferences in iPhoto. You can go in there and turn off photo stream and it will delete the photos from the photo stream folder in iPhoto and you can elect to have them NOT automatically put into events. I just kinda stumbled my way through the first time under pressure, I need to go back more methodically and see how it all works together. I think it is a neat feature though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
You cannot delete individual photos, they will self delete in 30 days. You can reset the photo stream and delete all the photos in it. You have to go into your iCloud account, click on the icon by your name in the upper right corner, then click ADVANCED. Here you can reset the photo stream. This deletes them from the cloud only.

On the iPhone, go into settings, iCloud, photo stream. Turn it off, then turn it back on.

On the Mac, go to system preferences, iCloud, photo stream and uncheck the box, then check it again. (I think that is how I did it on the Mac) This erases the photo stream in iPhoto.

All photo stream photos should be gone.

I found out when I took an unflattering picture of my wife just to show her how photo stream works. She wasn't going to leave until I was able to get rid of it everywhere.

Sounds like a mess. Thanks for the info!

C

chas_m

I fully expect a future update to give us a little more control, but in the meantime:

1. Don't take "inappropriate" pictures with your mobile device unless you are SURE it will be okay for anyone who handles your other devices to see those pictures.

2. Set iPhoto to NOT automatically upload all new photos to Photostream. That way, the only pictures that go into from your Mac are the ones you *choose* to put in there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.