can't install Mac OS X on iBook G4

Reaction score
I could not install OS X 10.4.3 ("Tiger") on an iBook G4 with the hard drive wiped clean and no operating system. The iBook's drive OS 1 was unmounted and not repairable or restorable, and the other drive "Untitled" had 40GB available. However, when trying to install OS X Tiger, I received an error that there was not enough memory to do the install even though the OS requires less than 5 GB. Using the install disk as a startup disk just took me to the install procedure. Any ideas how to get the install to work, or is OS X 10.4.3 too advanced to install on this iBook?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not enough memory or not enough room? There is a difference.... Tiger should be able to install on that iBook if it meets the memory requirements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Tell us about the Tiger disk. No a silver/grey model specific disc by any chance? You do require the black full retail install DVD.

OP
S
Reaction score
The Untitled drive has 39 GB, Tiger only requires 5 GB. But I do not know what you mean by not enough room. The drive is empty. I think the problem may be that Tiger won't load on a drive named Untitled and I need to change its name, or it wants to load on the drive OS 1 but I do not know how to activate or mount that drive.

Not enough memory or not enough room? There is a difference.... Tiger should be able to install on that iBook if it meets the memory requirements.[/QUOTE]

OP
S
Reaction score
It is a black disc with a gray X, and says it is an Install DVD that includes Xcode 2.

Tell us about the Tiger disk. No a silver/grey model specific disc by any chance? You do require the black full retail install DVD.[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Not enough memory or not enough room? There is a difference.... Tiger should be able to install on that iBook if it meets the memory requirements.

I think chscag was referring to the fact that Tiger needs at least 256mb RAM to install.
How much RAM does the machine have?

Cheers :)

Hugh

OP
S
Reaction score
It looks like I have two memory slots, one "DIMM0" called "built-in" with 128 MB and "DIMM1" with 512 DDR SDRAM. If the problem is the OS disk is only trying to load on the 128 MB slot, do you know how to refer it to the 512 MB instead? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
No, you have plenty of memory (RAM) installed to run Tiger; it will use a combination of the total rather than picking a particular slot to work from

Cheers :)

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.