• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Moving movies from Flixster Collections to iTunes

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks, Paid Industry Shill! I hope you picked up on all the hate for this incredibly stupid system.

Bottom line: Ultraviolet is a HEAVILY DRM'D digital copy that requires you to use a DIFFERENT system and applications other than iTunes to sync or watch the movies on your mobile devices. It **sucks** and should be avoided. Don't even bother with it, call or write, complain and get your iTunes redemption code so you can enjoy the movie you PAID FOR on the devices you own without hassle. Avoid buying DVDs with Ultraviolet "digital copies" on them if you can.

Thanks for making life difficult for the people that actually BOUGHT the movie, and EASY for the pirates to justify their pirating Sony! Keep up the good work! :Shouting:

Pot, say hello to kettle. Don't know if you're a "paid" Apple shill, but it sure seems like it sometimes... like in this case.
While I have only sampled around with it, Flixster has come a long way since it first started.

Bottom line: There are plenty of people in this world that don't use iTunes and don't want to use iTunes. iTunes is a HEAVILY DRM'd digital copy that requires you to use a DIFFERENT system and applications other than Flixster to sync or watch the movies on your mobile devices. It sucks - jut try getting an iTunes bought movie onto your Android, Blackberry or Windows phone device.

Flixster owned content now plays on Macs, Windows, iOS, Android, Blackberry and Windows phone devices. You certainly can't say that about all iTunes purchased content.

Flixster also permits sharing your owned content with up to 5 other people - with their own log in. Can you watch your friends content in iTunes without "their" Apple ID or share your content with your friends without giving them your Apple ID? I think NOT.

And... when your hard drive dies and you just lost all the movies and TV shows you bought in iTunes, try downloading them again onto your new drive. What? You didn't have a backup? Well, that's your own fault then. You should have had a backup. Not a problem with Flixster, once owned - you own with permanent downloading and streaming capability to pretty much "any" device you own.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Trying to make one companies DRM seem somehow nastier than another companies DRM... They're all the same, you are locked into having your content available only where that entity permits it. Doesn't matter whether it's:

Apple
Flixster
Amazon
Vudu
Google
CinemaNow
Blockbuster
etc.

It's all DRM'd and it's all nasty.
There is not a single supplier of online commercial content that permits you to do "what you want" with content that you have purchased.

C

chas_m

You've waaaay misinterpreted the point there, Tom.

*Apple* doesn't apply ANY drm to the movies. That is a condition of the MPAA.

The fact of the matter is that while movies you've purchased through iTunes are restricted only to other Apple devices, there are fewer limitations *within that ecosystem* than with any other eco-system. Luckily, most people use that ecosystem, so they don't run into the limitations.

I couldn't play my VHS movies on my Betamax, nor vice-versa. Apple's fault, or some other conspiracy to prevent me from doing "what I want" with my purchases? Nope. Hardware differences. No "DRM" required.

Ultraviolet/Flickster is *NOT* the same as "stay within your ecosystem" type DRM. It is "persistent Internet connection required" and "limited number of allowable devices" DRM, more like what Electronic Arts is taking a lot of heat for. When the movie file can't contact Flickster's servers for whatever reason, the product *doesn't work.* Thus, it is quantifiably *worse* than what you're referring to (and thus painting with far too broad a brush).

I am the first person to say that I would never BUY a movie from iTunes because I can't burn a DVD of it or otherwise use it outside the ecosystem (rental is not really an issue), but at least *I* know where to place the "blame" for that problem. Hint: not Apple.

Reaction score
There is a way to add them to Itunes (tedious)

Hi,i have found a way to do this but it requires 2 programs,
Fraps (full version only)
Windows Movie maker.
Fraps is a Image capture software, play the fillm uninterrupted and screen capture the full thing. It may be tedious and will take a while however i see no other way, then what you can do is put the file (image capture) into movie maker and then render the video.

the raw file will be huge so always render the video. then you can use it on other devices.

i am unsure as though you can put them into Itunes, however you can try it but it wont be official it will be under home video

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And since this thread was brought up again.

You've waaaay misinterpreted the point there, Tom.

*Apple* doesn't apply ANY drm to the movies. That is a condition of the MPAA.

Have to say, you are the one that is waaaaayyyyyy off base here.

Apple "does" apply DRM to every single movie they rent or sell and "that" is a condition of the MPAA and the terms Apple has agreed to with the MPAA in order to rent and sell commercial movies. And the "key" to unlock that content and be able to play it is provided by iTunes and iOS.

If there were no DRM, you would be able to play the content you purchased from Apple "wherever" you wanted to play it. Their DRM limits you to playing the content you have rented or bought in either iTunes or iOS devices.

And have to keep up nowadays - Flixster is teaming up with multiple other 3rd party companies such as Vudu where you can indeed download the content you own and watch it off line.

I've been in the mode of getting all my DVDs and B-Rs converted to digital content and accessible via streaming &/or download. Current cost: B-R - $1, DVD to SD version - $1, DVD to HD version $2.50. Can't convert DVDs and B-Rs to iTunes content and watch them wherever you want an on any device you want at all (without first breaking the encryption).

For any one who's time is worth anything, $1 is a whole lot cheaper than spending the time it takes to break the encryption, rip a B-R to your hard drive and then re-encoding it to downsize it from the typical 25-32 GB of a B-R. And all of them are playable (via both streaming &/or download) on practically any device you can name that has the ability of streaming or downloading. The competition is pulling so far ahead of both Apple and Amazon it's not even funny.

Reaction score
Movies from flixster

I too have had the same issue but when I email them, I get a robot response which ultimately reads, use our program and 2 extra accounts that you dont need.

I am very dissapointed with the advertising as it states you can take the movie anywhere, didnte read that you needed to create 2 more accounts and download a crappy movie player like flixster to play them on, just ridiculous.

I HIGHLY recommend staying the **** away from ultraviolet!!!!:Angry:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am of the camp that highly recommends using ultraviolet.

I am to the point now where I "only" buy B-Rs that have an ultraviolet code. With an ultraviolet code, you can literally watch your movies anywhere - flixster and vudu being only a couple of the places available.

If you want to be able to play your video content on practically "any" device you own, I recommend Vudu. Once you've tied your Vudu account to your UV account, you can stream &/or download your content to Windows, Macs, iOS and Android devices - not to mention streaming to practically every Blu-Ray player and smart TV on the market today along with the Roku, PlayStation, Xbox and the list goes on...

Not to mention, for only $1 currently (when you do 10 at a time) you can convert previously purchased discs to digital content - for me, much cheaper than the hour(s) of time it takes to rip (which is also illegal here in the U.S.) and then re-encode your discs to get them into a format to put on your mobile devices or stream to your TV.

When I travel out of town, pretty much all the family and friends have an internet connected Blu-Ray player, Roku, PS3 or Xbox. Am able to stream all my content right there in their house without carrying additional cables trying to connect my device to their TV. It's just too easy.

Reaction score
I am of the camp that highly recommends using ultraviolet.

I am to the point now where I "only" buy B-Rs that have an ultraviolet codeWHY?? BR -yes buy UV why? . With an ultraviolet code, you can literally watch your movies anywhere - flixster and vudu being only a couple of the places available. This can only happen if you sign up to 2 extra services and download 2 extra apps

If you want to be able to play your video content on practically "any" device you own, I recommend VuduWhy not just get the digital copy and transfer it to the device you want to watch it on.

Once you've tied your Vudu account to your UV account, you can stream &/or download your content to Windows, Macs, iOS and Android devices - not to mention streaming to practically every Blu-Ray player and smart TV on the market today along with the Roku, PlayStation, Xbox and the list goes on...-This relies on internet connectivity and the speed of the connection. If you dont have the internet on the device, streaming is pointless

Not to mention, for only $1 currently (when you do 10 at a time) you can convert previously purchased discs to digital content - for me, much cheaper than the hour(s) of time it takes to rip (which is also illegal here in the U.S.) and then re-encode your discs to get them into a format to put on your mobile devices or stream to your TV.-you must be doing something wrong, I rip my own dvd's I have bought to a storage drive in under 20-30 mins at high quality.

When I travel out of town, pretty much all the family and friends have an internet connected Blu-Ray player, Roku, PS3 or Xbox.As previously stated, this relies heavily on a internet connection, you must have one massive internet bill to stream HD movies all the time Am able to stream all my content right there in their house without carrying additional cables trying to connect my device to their TV. It's just too easy.How hard is it to connect a hard drive via usb to the tv? its one cable, you must be doing something dramatically wrong.

For you to be able to stream these HD movies as you say, you must have one **** of a connection to do this. Not to mention the bank account to fund it.

Personally, "streaming" sounds to be dearer and more complicated as you need extra apps and accounts. I already have around 40 different accounts on the web and dont need anymore. It is far simpler to have the digital file on a storage drive and plug it into the tv via 1(yes, 1) cable. Not to mention, insert into Itunes and sync to all IOS devices the movies you need.

Sorry, I cant see how you can promote UV....Its pointless.....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know what you've got there down under, but high speed unlimited broadband is readily available here in the U.S. at $30-$50/mth. Don't believe I personally know anyone that doesn't have internet service in their home.

Sign up to 2 extra services - takes 30-60 seconds max - each - that's a problem? Really?
Sounds to me like part of the problem here is still dealing manually with the record keeping of your online accounts.
Problem with 40 accounts? - it's time to look into getting a password manager.
1Password indicates I'm just shy of 400 online accounts (384 to be exact).
I spend less time managing those 400 than I did back 15 years ago when I only had 20-30 and no password manager.
Actually, don't have to manage or remember anything except a single password - go to a site, click the mouse twice and I'm logged in.

Ripping a DVD in 20-30 minutes - not a problem - my home built Windows HTPC does a typical DVD in 17-18 minutes - at 20 minutes vs $1 - I'm making $3 an hour - plus don't really buy DVDs any longer - have moved solidly into the HD vs SD world - try a 24-32GB B-R and then re-encode the resulting file to a format that permits you to move it into iTunes and play it on an iDevice - let me know how long that takes and whether it would be worth $1 to have someone else do it for you?
How about 100 at a time - My first move to VUDU, ~110 movies at one shot - took me 3 hours (instead of 40 hrs it would have taken with DVDs and the 100+ it would have taken for B-Rs) to put them into the computer, have them recognized and have them all in digital format ready to go.

Not to mention, all these portable devices with their limited amount of drive space means you can only travel with a small portion of a library of any size with you. And why spend the time constantly having to remove the old content and transfer the new content when you can have it all?

I've done what you're doing now, for many years in fact... Just wait until your collection gets larger and then tell me how easy it it would be to travel with 6-10 TB or more of external storage along with making sure you have all the cables and adapters that may be needed to connect to someone else's equipment. Then when you get to a friends house, have to pull their receiver (you do want surround sound right?) out of the cabinet (oh, you better carry a flashlight with you also) - &/or pull the TV out to get to the connections and hope they have another electrical outlet nearby (better carry an extension cord also). What if their TV doesn't have USB or it doesn't support the particular file format you have - now you need to connect your computer to their system, not just a hard drive. Why carry all that crap out of town? I'll take the 15 seconds it takes for me to log into an account on a device they already have set up in their system and have my entire library for them to choose from rather than a few that would fit on the device I carried along on that trip.

Bottom line - there are multiple methods of carrying your digital content around. Not every method is right for everyone. What works for one is a pita for another. Everyone has to weigh their own wants and needs to make their own decision. And that can only be done by knowing what other options exist.

GB4

Reaction score
Downloading digital movies to iTunes from Ultraviolet and Flixster

I have just tried to download a new movie and again unable to download directly into iTunes. Warner Bros who own the Ultraviolet and Flixster are fixated in their stance and will simply not provide a iTunes redemption code. This is the opposite customer service as what may be presented here where redemption codes have been provided in the past.

Ultra Violet, Flixster and ultimately Warner Bros. have obviously learnt nothing from feedback and customers wishes to be able to download digital copies purchased in good faith into the movie application of their choice such as iTunes. Why would customers revert to another app just for one or a couple of movies, its simply ridiculous and is nothing more than trying to manipulate the purchaser to use the Ultra and Flixster apps.

There is one thing that customers can do and that is use your purchasing power and avoid buying Blu Ray movies. I am certainly not SUGGESTING you rip the DVD into iTunes for personal use as that would be wrong .... I am simply saying avoid purchasing Blu Ray movies. With modern TV's I don't really see any difference anyway.

This is on of the last responses received from Warner Bros. Ultra Violet/Flixster:

Thank you for contacting Flixster Video Customer Care.

As it may be true that we have assisted with iTunes codes in the past, we do not, and have not done this for some time. If you notice, the forum is from 2011. We value customer feedback like yours and are continually working to improve our services.

You can always visit our support site by clicking on the link below for additional information, updates, and FAQs.

Thanks again,

As you can read from this, Flixster and Warner Bros email that I received on 6 August 2016, they have learnt nothing, they obviously don't care and certainly have not improved any services.

Avoid Blu Rays.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Interesting thread, and some great points from aficionados of both systems. Since everyone here is a computer user, I'd expect the iTunes camp to be well represented. I use both systems, mainly for convenience. If I have a complaint, it's that I can't drag the Ultraviolet window from my Mac to my TV, because UV won't allow it. Since I haven't attempted to log on to my Ultraviolet account using my SmartTV, it probably goes to show how valid my complaint is (not).

Call me a dinosaur, if you must. I prefer the discs. I find that members of home theatre forums, in the main, prefer the physical copy and that the digital version seems somehow insubstantial to them. In fact, the classified areas of HT forums are often full of advertisements for digital copies for a few dollars. Not sure how legal that is, so I won't pursue the thought. I hang out in the online theatre world with some fanatics, it must be said. Some will spend $20-30,000 on a single component. Systems with 20 or more speakers, multiple subwoofers capable of hitting 10Hz or lower, popcorn machines, stages, you name it and more people than you realize will buy it. These boys are serious. But they won't touch digital download. They want the physical media, in part because it is almost a ritual. I'm sure studios would love to get rid of the physical media entirely, but they know that they risk alienating a large section of their customer base, the ones who can tell you why you should spend $500 on an Oppo BD player, and why no other will do, and who get excited about the fact that you can hear the flies buzzing around your head in the final scenes of Gravity.

At the end of the day, it's horses for courses. Digital is great, DVD can be great, BD is better and hopefully one day there will be a decent amount of 4K content. There is nothing like selecting a movie from your physical library, powering up your system, dimming the house lights and getting into the thick of the action, unless, of course, you want to enjoy streaming Avatar on your Mac using Starbuck's wifi.

It's all good.

However you get your movies, enjoy them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.