Should I get iLife 11 and Lion?

Reaction score
I have a MBP and not sure if I should upgrade to the 11 series of iLife. I recall hearing a lot of functions and such are gone and it's not as good as previous versions. My MBP came with the 09 set.

I'm also wondering if Lion is worth the 30 bucks?

I'm a fairly new mac user. Probably had this MBP for about a year or so.

Reaction score
I'm in a similar predicament and thinking of upgrading to Lion but heard lots of problems with it.
I only really want to go from Snow Leopard to Lion because I have an iPhone and wanted seamless syncing with iCloud which only works with Lion.
But I love Snow Leopard and from what I hear unless you have a newish good spec Mac then Lion is slow and counter productive.
My iMac is late 2006 but still C2D.
Considering the problems reported with Lion so far I think I'll live with manual calendar and contact syncing. I have no need whatsoever for the photostream function.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lion is certainly worth the $30 price, however, whether you need it or not is up to you to decide. One thing to consider is if you have any applications that use PPC code as they might not run in Lion. There are also some apps which have not been updated for Lion that ran fine in Snow Leopard.

As far as iLife11 is concerned, I don't see that much of an improvement over the previous version but the only iLife app I use is iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The thing I found over the years is that while you may not need the OS upgrade an iDevice may require a newer version iTunes which in turn require a newer version of the OS which by then the OS is no longer available because Apple has moved on. A
classic example was Snow Leopard which has fetched some ridiculous prices from sellers on the net.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm in a similar predicament and thinking of upgrading to Lion but heard lots of problems with it.
I only really want to go from Snow Leopard to Lion because I have an iPhone and wanted seamless syncing with iCloud which only works with Lion.
But I love Snow Leopard and from what I hear unless you have a newish good spec Mac then Lion is slow and counter productive.
My iMac is late 2006 but still C2D.
Considering the problems reported with Lion so far I think I'll live with manual calendar and contact syncing. I have no need whatsoever for the photostream function.

I would say you hear wrong. Lion is functioning just as fast on my '06 MBP as Snow Leopard did - which was faster than any of the previous versions of OS X.

I also have not run into any problems with Lion. However, I do not use any PPC apps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Different strokes for different folks..... Lion runs just as fast or faster on both my machines and one of them is a 2008 MacBook. The only thing I don't like about Lion is the lack of Rosetta, but I guess that's what's called progress. :\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.