Intermittant freezing

Reaction score
I have a 2003 G4 PowerBook 12". It has 1.25GB memory, running version 10.4.11 with a 1GHz processor. My problem is it will intermittantly freeze, then a box rolls down the screen and in 3 languages it says "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the start button for several seconds." No reason is given about what the problem is. Any suggestions? Did a memtest and it said everything was fine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Those are called "kernel panics" and generally are caused by defective hardware. With a machine that old, it's hard to say what it could be. The first and easiest thing to test would be the hard drive since you have already tested the memory.

Use your install recovery media to test the hard drive for errors. I also suggest making a backup of all your data as soon as possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.