Confused! Cloud/lion/mobile me questio

Reaction score
Hi - this may be a dumb question but here goes. My husband and I use the same email account. We are on mobile me. I have a MacBook pro, iPhone 3GS, and iPad 2. He has iMac and iPhone 3GS. I am in process of upgrading to lion on my MacBook pro. Do I have to use icloud right away? If I do start using it and my husband still hasn't upgraded what happens with our mobile me? Does it still sync for us? told you I was confused!
Thanks,
Sue

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi - this may be a dumb question but here goes. My husband and I use the same email account. We are on mobile me. I have a MacBook pro, iPhone 3GS, and iPad 2. He has iMac and iPhone 3GS. I am in process of upgrading to lion on my MacBook pro. Do I have to use icloud right away? If I do start using it and my husband still hasn't upgraded what happens with our mobile me? Does it still sync for us? told you I was confused!
Thanks,
Sue

No need to move to iCloud if you aren't ready.

Don't really know the answer to the rest of your question.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
All email is moved from mobileme to iCloud when you set it up.

Whether he can still use the Mail app to access the .me email under 10.6 after it's been moved to iCloud - I really don't know the answer to that either.

I've not moved to iCloud until I get all my questions answered - right now, don't even think I know what all my questions are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
I would think he will not be able to access with mail.app but could access it through the web. I converted my email from MobileMe with no issues. I have a Family plan and haven't converted the rest of my Family yet and they are having no problems with their individual accounts. Since you and your husband use the same account your situation is a little different but workable with the solution in the first portion of my response

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Suez, you don't have to use iCloud at all. It's totally voluntary. Until you are ready, just don't change from your Mobile Me account. You have until June 30, 2012 to make the change, but once you change to iCloud, you can't go back. Mobile Me becomes inactive as of that date. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, there's lots of us who haven't figured out if/when we will make the move away from MM and into iCloud.

Since you don't have separate Mobile Me accounts, one of you lose access but only if you upgrade to iCloud. You can upgrade to Lion and not upgrade to iCloud, if you choose. That way you can keep using the syncing services for Mobile Me for both of you until your husband decides that he wants to upgrade to Lion too.

FWIW, if I understand everything correctly, when you do move to iCloud you will have to have 2 separate e-mail accounts for your 2 .me accounts(1 old and 1 new). You can share the same Apple ID for iTunes, but not for iCloud. Here is some more information about the changeover

Apple Posts iCloud Transition Q&A, Confirms iCloud Will Have Web Apps

I think the trickiest part is going to be, getting all your information over to the second person to move to iCloud. The first person is dead easy as there is automated transfer all your Mobile Me info over to iCloud. The second person will not have that same easy path because once you move the account, your old Mobile Me account is shut down so the second person loses access to the information.

I'm sure there's probably a good way to transfer the second person's info too, I just don't know how. I'm sure there are smarter people than me who can give you that information.

Reaction score
I'm confused, so is it correct that I can't back up my iPhone onto my PC with iTunes? And can't use Exchange/GMail set up that now everything has to be done with iCloud? I have read so many articles and talked with just as many people and get a different answer. Help.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm confused, so is it correct that I can't back up my iPhone onto my PC with iTunes? And can't use Exchange/GMail set up that now everything has to be done with iCloud? I have read so many articles and talked with just as many people and get a different answer. Help.

That is absolutely not correct. IOS 5 introduces the capability to sync by iCloud, but not the requirement.
You can set up and use your iPhone or iPad just as before if you wish.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.