• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problems Importing mp3 file into iMovie Project

Reaction score
I have edited a video in iMovie and wanted to put some music under. My friend sent me the mp3 file of his own composed music. I imported it and it shows up under the iTunes pane, but it is greyed out and iTunes does not allow me to drag and drop it into the project. A window shows up saying "iTunes cannot locate the original source". Is there a way to go around iTunes? How do I get an original music file into iMovie?

I tried to convert it to a quicktime movie file and import it as a movie into events, but this didn't work either. It kept being greyed out

Any ideas?
Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
A window shows up saying "iTunes cannot locate the original source"
That indicates that the mp3 file is no longer on your computer. Where did you import it from?

OP
H
Reaction score
I received it by email and downloaded it on my computer. I just checked. It is still there.

C

chas_m

What happens if you simply DRAG the original MP3 file straight from the email into your project window in iMovie?

OP
H
Reaction score
I tried it but it doesn't work. I have to download the file. And when I download it opens up automatically with iTunes.

C

chas_m

By this I take it you mean that the "email" you're referring to is NOT on your local hard drive but is in fact on a server -- probably that you are accessing through a web browser (ie, webmail)?

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes, this is correct. In the meantime I downloaded the file again from the email and saved it on my hard drive and this time it worked! Not sure why it didn't work the first time!

C

chas_m

The reason it didn't work the first time is because the file was not on your computer, it was on the mail server somewhere. Now that you have a copy on your computer's hard drive, iMovie (and everything else) can access it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.