Looking for a 4 bay sata enclosure....

Reaction score
Hi friends,

I have a lot of random sata drives which I need to access from my new iMac. I don't need any wireless capability, just a good old fashioned lead to and from the computer.

I'm assuming firewire is faster than USB 2.0 but there are so many options and tech-y terms I thought I'd ask the experts what to get.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Firewire is MUCH faster than USB. I cloned a drive through USB and it took 4 hours. With Firewire 800 it took just under an hour. The new Thunderbolt ports would be faster as well, but the drives are pricey.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know that you're going to find a 4 bay enclosure that's not designed for RAID. Some, not all, of them can be set up as JBOD (just a bunch of disks), but you're going to be paying for the RAID capability with them.

If you only need rare access to any individual drive and can stand setting each one up when you do - just go with something like this - has FW800 for connecting to your Macs and eSATA for your Windows boxes.

If you're wanting semi-permanent access and they'll only be attached to your Mac, you might want to look at individual cases with FW800 and then daisy chain them.

Having said the above, if you're up to 4 external drives with stored data on them, it's probably past time you start looking at investing in a RAID device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Cooldrive Homepage from CoolDrives.com

Bob_Stan said:
Firewire is MUCH faster than USB. I cloned a drive through USB and it took 4 hours. With Firewire 800 it took just under an hour. The new Thunderbolt ports would be faster as well, but the drives are pricey.

Don't forget about Firewire 400 as well. Still a good clip faster than USB 2...

Don't know that you're going to find a 4 bay enclosure that's not designed for RAID. Some, not all, of them can be set up as JBOD (just a bunch of disks), but you're going to be paying for the RAID capability with them.

Maybe, maybe not. There are quite a few that an be used as just plain drive enclosures and since OSX is RAID capable you can let it perform the functionality without paying a ton extra to the drive maker.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.