When is an iMessage not an iMessage

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I've been playing with my 4S this morning and sharing texts with a fellow 4S owner. We've noticed something interesting:

The first time you SMS a 4S, the message is in a green bubble and it says 'sent as text message' below it. When they reply, it comes as an iMessage, and you can also reply via iMessage from that point. If you have a break in the conversation for some time (maybe 5 mins?) your next message drops back to being SMS.

It looks like the SMS must carry some kind of meta data which the receiving device responds to and initiates an iMessage session. Anyone know how they might be doing that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
How strong is your data signal? I noticed texting with my wife that one message in the middle of our conversation dropped back to SMS and the next one was back to iMessage. I bet she lost data connection momentarily so it auto switched and then came back when the connection was restored.

OP
D

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Definitely could be something like that - my friend and I kept texting each other throughout the day and later on it would initiate messaging via iMessage even if we hadn't exchanged messages for some time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.